open baffle fullrange/sub or three way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build another speaker refining some of the ideas that appeal to me from my hack and slash first speaker experiment. It ended up as an open baffle with a full range driver thats limited to about 150 hz. Now I want to make an open baffle that goes down further, at least to cover a double bass or orchestra, which I think is about 40hz.

Im basing the construction on the accapella (http://home1.stofanet.dk/troels.gravesen/ ) since the project is extremely well documented, it looks great, and it will work well domestically. The bass is enclosed. The drivers for the project are WAY out of my budget though so Im going to do my own thing there.

The most important sonic qualities to me are openness, imaging, accurate timbre and good midrange. Overly bright highs are high on my avoid list. This system will be for classical, jazz, and electronic music (pounding rythms aren't that important to me though)

The advice Im looking for is about driver choice and configuration. At the moment, its a toss up between one or two tangband w3-871s' each side (or some other full range such as the radio shack fe 103) with a bass driver, or a three way with the mcm 53-525 silk dome tweeter, the 55-1170 mid/woofer, and a woofer. These drivers all suit my budget and are recommended by many sources. The mcm mid/woofer seems to be well suited to an open baffle on account of its Qts. Im least certain about the RS driver but it has the plus of no shipping costs.

For the woofer its most likely to be either an mcm such as the
55-2421 or 55-1950 (especially if i go with a three way since Ill be ordering from there anyway) or dayton 10" 295-315 or 12" 295-320.

Power will be about 60 watts.

Im open to consider other drivers but the cost should be similar to what I've listed here.

Thanks

Im adding the tangband W8-740C 8" from css to the list of woofers, and I think Im shying away from the mcms. Im not %100 on the reliablility of the MCMs. The fact that css is in Canada is a plus. Im leaning rather stongly in the direction of two w3-871s per side with the TB 8" and life will be simpler ordering from just one supplier. The Worst case scenario is that my design sucks and I build the css superelfs that I was considering for my first project.

Still interested in some feedback though.

(pounding rythms aren't that important to me though)

Then, why don´t you do yourself a favour and at least consider a dipole bass instead of the accapella BR?
Since you are already changing all drivers, the accapella documentation isn´t much help anymore. A H- or W-frame a la Linkwitz would give you the advantages of dipole down to at least 40 Hz and would have a smaller footprint than the accapella too.

Rudolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.