Thoughts on this Tang-Bang 6.5" "sub"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How do you all think this driver compares to the silverflute http://www.madisound.com/silverflute.pdf
W20RC38-04 at the very bottom left of that page.?

I'm also thinking of using it as a car stereo midbass. The TB has good excursion but only 84 db sensitivity. While the SF has 93. Of course I have no clue how that is measured or at what frequency but it seems like its a significant difference. Maybe i'll just buy both sets and try.

I built a small sub for a friend using two of the TB W8s in a 45 liter enclosure. He's quite pleased with the results. Also, the latest issue of Audio Express has details of some "apartment subs" utilizing different brands of 8" woofers and the TB setup had the better results.

I built using the W8-740C, and in ~1cuft with porting, it makes lots of boom-like noises. :)

I used a homemade mono paralleled LM4780 gainclone and a cheap Radio Shack transformer to power it, too.

I think it cost me about $70 or $80 CDN after everything to build, and the results are pretty darned awesome. People who hear the system (has W3-871S-based LCR speakers teamed up with it) are shocked at how small everything is, and yet how (nicely) noisy it can get.

So, yeah. Buy the W8-740C -- wicked-good bang for your buck.

Cheers,

Chris

Below are some measurements I just pulled from the woofer recently.

This is a comparison of the 1/2" and 1' measurements (32k FFT).

Attachments

• fuzzmeasurescreensnapz025.gif
    fuzzmeasurescreensnapz025.gif
    55.7 KB · Views: 363
originall posted by Timn8ter
I built a small sub for a friend using two of the TB W8s in a 45 liter enclosure. He's quite pleased with the results. Also, the latest issue of Audio Express has details of some "apartment subs" utilizing different brands of 8" woofers and the TB setup had the better results.

does anyone know where I can find the Audio Express article. I checked the website and I can't seem to find any place to order just that issue. I did sign up for the trial subscription but I highly doubt that I will receive the issue that I want.

Thanks,

What do you think about this design (picture is not accurate).
Volume is 50L and it is tuned to 17 Hz. It uses two W8-740C in push-push configuration.

The tube will have to be about 120 cm long. Do you think this will be a problem as it is 2-4 times more than recommended.
WinISD Help:
You shouldn't try to make too long ports, because they must be very much shorter than wavelength of sound to be reproduced by the system. About 1/20-1/10 is safe factor. Otherwise, they start to behave like organ pipe, which is not desirable.

Edit: Is there any recommendation for driver and port placement. Near the floor or as far from it as possible? Should I place the driver to the sides or to front and back?

Attachments

• kiertoputki2.gif
    kiertoputki2.gif
    21 KB · Views: 267
sheik said:
originall posted by Timn8ter

does anyone know where I can find the Audio Express article. I checked the website and I can't seem to find any place to order just that issue. I did sign up for the trial subscription but I highly doubt that I will receive the issue that I want.

Thanks,

Actually, it's a two-part series (June-July 2004). Yes, I do have the issues (though I can only find Part 2 right now) and find that article very interesting. It takes you through the design/construction of an MCM 8" sub as well as the aforementioned Tangband 8" sub, though the authors seemed to like the TB better. The most significant drawback with the TB, IMHO, is the long, windy port that you have to build in sections with PVC pipes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.