Is placement that important when using two subs in room to cancel out standing waves?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In other words, If I am going to use two identical subs in my living room in seperate locations to help get rid of standing waves and therefore "sweet spots", is it enough just to place them in different inconspicuous(sp) locations, or is it necessary to, for example, place them at exact apposite sides of the room, a few feet from the corner?

standing waves are a result of room dimensions surely?

in that case aren't you going to achieve a worse result separating your subs because of comb filtering?

my thoughts would be that you should really keep your bass sources together and move them to an off center location with regards your opposite walls in either direction (can't do much about the floor/ceiling unless you want to hang them)

dunno that's just my take on it

dave

Hey Paulinator,

At what frequency are you crossing the sub ? I'm planning to do a Shiva sub but can't decide whether to do a single or double. My main system is active & I have to do a 4th stage for the sub.

I was thinking of 80hz as the main system has decent output at this stage. If it does'nt sound right, do you think I can Linkwitz transform the main system to push the output at 80hz, then crossover to the sub or should I crossover higher at maybe 100hz.

Question is, if I crossover at 100hz will the position of the sub be apparent.

cheers,
sunil

I use dual subs:
compared to a single it is harder to integrate with the mains, but the sub output is obviously greater & fills the room a lot more (as one would expect)
I xover at 60hz, localisation starts to happen around 80.
I find 100hz is way too high, even if the mains are really small.

I know it is a sin, but right now I am actually sort of missing out on some bandwidth. I have a medium/small room with my home-made little Tang Band identical sattelites all the way around consisting of nothing more than a single 871 in each speaker. I know that sounds minimal, but if you heard what it is capable of, you would understand why I am more than content with these for now. Unfortunately I will occasionally hear a driver bottoming out at extremely (and I do mean EXTREMELY, these little puppies really put out, more than you think) high volume levels, so I have my Sony STRDA777ES receiver set to cross them over at 120hz at (another apparent travesty, I know), 12 db per octave. My subs consist of two Vifa 8" drivers per box, and I don't want to cross them over any higher than 80hz. I know this sounds like treason, but you really can't tell that you are missing out on much more than you were before, and the difference would probably be noticable if I were using larger speakers, but right now these sound so good for what they are that I really don't care. And as easy as these were to make, it just makes me care even less. I'll have to post a picture of my so-easy-it's-almost-cheating design on here sometime.

there is a recording technique using boundary microphones, which involves the mic capsule placed on a level with the wall (boundary). This removes the possibility of comb filtering from reflections from that wall and also the possibility of the standing wave effecting the signal. A standing wave will always have a SPL of zero at the boundaries. So put the subs directly behind the fullrange speakers according to line of sight as close to the wall as possible. Putting the speakers next to the wall also causes the proximity effect, which is not too unfortunate with a sub, becuase you just don't have to push them as hard to get the same level of sound. If you place them line of sight running in stereo and if you're obsessive put a delay on the full ranges of a couple of milliseconds then you should get a good result with as high a crossover point as you want. The only way to get rid of a standing wave properly though is to either build your room an asymmetrical shape, or use loads of bass traps and soft furnishings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.