diy speaker project nearly finished (pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

i almost finished my diy floorstander;

it is described more in detail on my website http://www.krishu.de > hifi > speakers

The speaker is based on a kit offered by http://www.dynamik-akustik.de

It uses Eton ER4 Air Motion Transformers and two 7" Eton woofers. Crossover is tuned to about 2kHz, each woofer has about 16 liters volume and the reflex ports are tuned to about 40 Hz.

He woodwork consists of 22mm thick MDF, the front is 44mm; everything is veneered with european cherry tree and waxed.

Sensitivy is about 95 dB; Size is about 1.10m high and just more than 20 cm wide.

The crossover sits in a separate chamber which was planned to be filled with sand but the speakers are so heavy now I will probably not do this.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cheers
Christian

krishu said:

Sensitivy is about 95 dB; Size is about 1.10m high and just more than 20 cm wide.

Hmm seems like there cannot be any bafflestep compensation added in to this design if its a 95dB speaker.

Assuming you measured these drivers with Just MLS did you actually use the bafflestep thingymabob in the merge combine thingy when you add the near and farfield responses of the woofer together??

Hi,

I did not measure anything, I just listened and have simulation diagrams.

As said above, this is based on a kit, I just modified the housing and the quality of the x-over parts, mainly capacitors.

The bafflestep i hope has been be taken into account by the developers.

Cheers
Christian.

Lovely looking speakers! Also look expensive.
How'd you manage 95db, I thought those woofs were in their mid 80's?

Originally posted by capslock
Is that what they are learning at the ENA?

Not quite. They teach you how to talk OTHERS into believing how things are;) . "Who cares what things really LOOK like to you:devilr:, I'll convince how they really are."
Good school, actually (IMO, etc). Cheers

Yes it appears I jumped too soon before posting:xeye:

Having read a bit more on the various websites, well trying to figure out what is what languages are not my strong point. Either way, I now see that the manufacturer specifies the sensativity of the speaker at 89dB sens, which makes sense.

Hi,

the woofers are about 90dB, the tweeter is told to produce 92dB/(1W,1m), since the woofers are two their efficiency is increased by about 5dB i guess. This makes an overall 95dB I thought. But there are speakers using the same chassis ratet at 91 dB... I have no idea which is real but don't care anyway.

The drivers were quite expensive, yes. but I wanted to build my speakers only once but best i could get (for my limited budget). I travelled around Germany to visit diy speaker stores and listened some for hours to several speakers, these were definitely the best (for me). My grirlfriend was with me and she made the same decision. So she can enjoy The White Stripes and I Dave Brubeck ;) just as an example, of course.

The efficiency does not tell so much since these speakers benefit a lot from powerful amplifiers, especially in the bass region. Or betterly said: they NEED big power amps.

I still am looking for a decent diy amp; have kind of gainclones at the moment (TDA7293) and am looking forward to new Millenium amps (from Feickert; bit better than the ones LCaudio had) or ZAPpulse from LCaudio. Did not deceide yet, any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers
Christian.

Hi Christian,

those Eton's are relatively efficient, but they are 90 dB only in the midrange. With xover they come down to about 84 -85dB, times two you have the advertised "near 90dB". Should be enough anyway and should have good bass.

I built a project with an Eton 7" and Dynaudio tweet a few years ago, and they had awesome ( in terms of quality, not quantity!) bass for their size!

And btw, I am an industrial designer also........so thumbs up to your project!

Oliver

Nice speakers. I also have some (almost finished) Eton speakers. I'm also curious as to how Eton drivers compare to Scan Speak. Although I must admit I have not heard either. An interesting thing about Eton woofers I don't understand, is why the magnets are off center, as in your photos and also my woofers are like this.

I should know this, but why do you put the x-over components in a separate conclosure. Is it the caps and/or inductors act as microphones and reproduce the sound again? Is it a big deal or very audiable?

I'm also looking for a DIY amp to build. But I know nothing about amps :cannotbe:

Hi,

yes, i compared the complete speaker (in the shops) against some scan speak designs as well as against some Vifa (Ringradiator) designs, you can't beat the clear and clean heights of the Eton ER4. The bass of these 7" is just the right compromnise for me: tight, fast, but still warm and comfortable. I compared also to eton designs using smaller and also bigger woofers. The bigger ones became too slow and seemed to be a bit muddy, the smaller ones just gave too little basement.

The x-over in a separate enclosure makes very much sence. You guess right about microphony.

I asked about the excentricity of the magnets; they said it is because of production process and does not affect the sound. However, because I bought "selected" and matched and measured driver pairs I will get centric ones within these weeks.

I used foil inductors, there is a design out there using the same drivers but different placement and using Tritec coil. But in German DIY magazine HobbyHifi they measured all sorts of coils and foil coils were the best. Apart from that they were part of the design i listened to and one can't just replace. Also i do like the idea of solid-core wiring, the tritec coil is something totally differnt.

I did the rounded edges as shown on my website, using self-made tools and a tool called "pull-plane" (i know there is a certain name for this in English but I can't recall); but a large router will do the job even better (ask a carpenter).

Regarding the mids:
I'd describe the sound as quite similar to Dynaudio speakers, but far less compressed and really clear. Neutral and controlled but flowing and good for long-term listening.

Cheers
Christian.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.