diy speaker project nearly finished (pics) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2004, 11:07 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Yes it appears I jumped too soon before posting

Having read a bit more on the various websites, well trying to figure out what is what languages are not my strong point. Either way, I now see that the manufacturer specifies the sensativity of the speaker at 89dB sens, which makes sense.
Old 14th May 2004, 11:27 AM   #12
krishu is offline krishu  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi,

the woofers are about 90dB, the tweeter is told to produce 92dB/(1W,1m), since the woofers are two their efficiency is increased by about 5dB i guess. This makes an overall 95dB I thought. But there are speakers using the same chassis ratet at 91 dB... I have no idea which is real but don't care anyway.

The drivers were quite expensive, yes. but I wanted to build my speakers only once but best i could get (for my limited budget). I travelled around Germany to visit diy speaker stores and listened some for hours to several speakers, these were definitely the best (for me). My grirlfriend was with me and she made the same decision. So she can enjoy The White Stripes and I Dave Brubeck just as an example, of course.

The efficiency does not tell so much since these speakers benefit a lot from powerful amplifiers, especially in the bass region. Or betterly said: they NEED big power amps.

I still am looking for a decent diy amp; have kind of gainclones at the moment (TDA7293) and am looking forward to new Millenium amps (from Feickert; bit better than the ones LCaudio had) or ZAPpulse from LCaudio. Did not deceide yet, any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers
Christian.
Old 14th May 2004, 02:49 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

If the drivers are 90dB sensativity then when wired in parallel will yeild a sensativity of 96dB. If baffle step is applied fully then the sensativity will be brought back down to 90 again.

I bet they sound brilliant anyway.

Matt
Old 14th May 2004, 02:55 PM   #14
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Hi Christian,

those Eton's are relatively efficient, but they are 90 dB only in the midrange. With xover they come down to about 84 -85dB, times two you have the advertised "near 90dB". Should be enough anyway and should have good bass.

I built a project with an Eton 7" and Dynaudio tweet a few years ago, and they had awesome ( in terms of quality, not quantity!) bass for their size!

And btw, I am an industrial designer also........so thumbs up to your project!

Oliver
Old 14th May 2004, 03:48 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

You may want to consider filling the void at the bottom regardless of the weight of the enclosure. I'm thinking there is a possibility of it creating a resonant chamber of sorts. BTW, I always enjoy seeing someone use an AMT. I should try it sometime
Old 16th May 2004, 05:38 AM   #16
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

Hi Christian,
Your speakers look just great. The rounded edges of the box look just perfect. How do you do that? I am making a pair of floorstanders and would like some advice on how to achieve that.
Thanks,
Vivek
Old 16th May 2004, 07:15 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

First of all great speaker!

I've one question: Did you consider a (intertechnik) Tritec coil in the woofer section?
Old 16th May 2004, 07:58 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Great looking speakers. How do you like those Eton 375 midranges? I'm considering using them, but with a different tweeter.

Did you listen to any Scanspeak or Seas based designs as well during your research phase?

Cheers!
Old 16th May 2004, 11:24 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Nice speakers. I also have some (almost finished) Eton speakers. I'm also curious as to how Eton drivers compare to Scan Speak. Although I must admit I have not heard either. An interesting thing about Eton woofers I don't understand, is why the magnets are off center, as in your photos and also my woofers are like this.

I should know this, but why do you put the x-over components in a separate conclosure. Is it the caps and/or inductors act as microphones and reproduce the sound again? Is it a big deal or very audiable?

I'm also looking for a DIY amp to build. But I know nothing about amps
Old 17th May 2004, 10:37 AM   #20
krishu is offline krishu  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi,

yes, i compared the complete speaker (in the shops) against some scan speak designs as well as against some Vifa (Ringradiator) designs, you can't beat the clear and clean heights of the Eton ER4. The bass of these 7" is just the right compromnise for me: tight, fast, but still warm and comfortable. I compared also to eton designs using smaller and also bigger woofers. The bigger ones became too slow and seemed to be a bit muddy, the smaller ones just gave too little basement.

The x-over in a separate enclosure makes very much sence. You guess right about microphony.

I asked about the excentricity of the magnets; they said it is because of production process and does not affect the sound. However, because I bought "selected" and matched and measured driver pairs I will get centric ones within these weeks.

I used foil inductors, there is a design out there using the same drivers but different placement and using Tritec coil. But in German DIY magazine HobbyHifi they measured all sorts of coils and foil coils were the best. Apart from that they were part of the design i listened to and one can't just replace. Also i do like the idea of solid-core wiring, the tritec coil is something totally differnt.

I did the rounded edges as shown on my website, using self-made tools and a tool called "pull-plane" (i know there is a certain name for this in English but I can't recall); but a large router will do the job even better (ask a carpenter).

Regarding the mids:
I'd describe the sound as quite similar to Dynaudio speakers, but far less compressed and really clear. Neutral and controlled but flowing and good for long-term listening.

Cheers
Christian.

Hide this!Advertise here!