New speaker setup buying advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I am someone who really appreciates his music/movies audio. However, now I want to be serious and try to take audio as a hobby, an 'audiophile' per say.

Anyways, I am just getting started and I want to get to know some information pertaining to what kind of system/setup I want to get.

Please take notice that I am a college student and currently do not have a lot of bones to put into a new sound system. I am currently looking for the best performance/price ratio.

Right now, I have four speakers that are 53 watts each, and two speakers at 60 watts each. For simplicity reasons, I will not incorperate the 53 watt speakers in this system. I want to get two floorstanding speakers, a reciever, and I already have my DVD player, game systems, and CD player.

What I want to know is how the best way to set this up would be, and also including my money shortage problem.

5.1 sound is fine for me, as long as I can get both digital and analog (DVD and games and digital cable for digital, CD player and a few line in connections such as an mp3 player for analog). so I need a reciever that can cover all of that. I for right now can do with just the two floorstanding, but I will be looking for a center channel speaker and a subwoofer whenever I get the money for one.

I plan on having the floorstanding speakers in the front, and the two 60 watt speakers (made by sony) in the rear. This is my first question: Will the floorstanding speakers that I buy be too powerful for the 60 watt speakers in the back for surround sound in movies? If so, when I get the money, what kind of speakers should I get to replace them?

Next, my second question is, based on the usages this system will encounter, what kind of reciever should I get?

Lastly, when the time comes that I can afford a center channel and sub, what kind should I get?

And if possible, I don't want to run the costs of the initial setup (the reciever, two floorstanding speakers) more than 400 dollars.

I know I probably sound very uneducated, but right now I am very new to this stuff, and I hope that the experience I get from learning about the speakers and setting them up will ultimately allow me to enjoy my music and movies even further.

I appreciate any help that anyone offers. Thanks in advance!

Aman9090

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.