Need help on a Leak Speaker 2020 i have just brought

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please help!

I have just brought myself a Leak speaker 2020 and did not realise that you could not plug any speakers cable because the speakers comes with its own cable attached with a socket at the end of it which will not fit my Marantz amp model 1072.

What shoud i do?

This is my first time using any sort of vintage gear and i am puzzled at what this socket is and how it can be connected to a modern amp.

I thought about cutting the socket of and just wire it to my amp?

If any of you here own the same type of speaker, please help...

:(

It's easy. Remove the 6.5" bass unit (it's nice aluminium/foam polystyrene sandwich unit). You can then access the input lead through the hole. I suggest that you drill a couple of holes and put standard connection posts in.

BTW, although the bass/mid unit in the Leak 2020 is nice, the tweeter is nothing to write home about.

Many thanks for all the replies. But as a total beginner in audio gears. I am still a lttile puzzled. However, i want to change the socket without having to open the speakers as i don't want to damage them.

I think cutting the socket is the easiest method without damaging the speakers. But it this advisable?

To make my message clearer to you all. I have supplied some images of the Leak speaker and the socket used (see below). Sorry the images might mot be so clear but i hope you all can work it out.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Many thanks.

:)

Thank to everyone for helping...

I shall cut of the sockets and test it out. Can't wait to hear them. If have aren't up to what all the reviewers have raved about this speaker as being 'one of the Best of British speakers', then i shall attempt some DIY work- changing the drivers. Maybe something by Bose or JBL (1970's ones). Any other suggestions about which drivers to use for treble, mid and bass.

I probably need more help! You guys are great!...

Cheers!

That actually isn't a DIN plug. It has the same size and dimensions, however, it has only two pins, which are in the center of the plug.

It is a european plug as far as I know, and many of my older pieces of Fisher gear have it for speaker connections. I also see that plug a lot on european radios. For example, my Grundig console and my Telefunken Opus I believe have that connection for extra speakers.

Cutting the cable will do it absolutely no harm. Simple cut the wire, and perhaps keep the plug if you wish, cause you may run into something that uses it. After you cut the wire, just strip and use, or attach a different connector if you need to.

Duo said:

Cutting the cable will do it absolutely no harm. Simple cut the wire, and perhaps keep the plug if you wish, cause you may run into something that uses it. After you cut the wire, just strip and use, or attach a different connector if you need to.

Excellent! it's that simple... Just out of curiosity, if you were to buy a pair of speaker which brand would you choose as the all time classic 70's speaker? This question is for everyone else too!

And again, thanks you all for being ever so helpful.

Well, that's a hard question for me to answer.

I've heard many speakers from the seventies that I really like.

One interesting example, which was not best sounding, but certainly intersting, was a pair of Parenthian speakers. I don't know whether that's a brand name or a model. The speakers were made of dense plywood as far as I remember, and had half inch thick plexiglas baffles. The complete exterior of each cabinet was completely lined with glass mirror and the inside lined with egg carton foam.

Perhaps this speaker was designed more for looks than sound, but it certainly did look quite interesting.

As for higher end stuff. Some JBL speakers I've heard from that period really were impressive. Most of them were designed for professional use and PA, but most of them could do amazing things.

As far as brand names, well, I've heard all kinds of good speakers from the seventies, however, I don't remember many brand names of ones I thought were better than usual.

I'll try and see if I can conjure up something here for input.

Any ideas anyone else?

Just thought of another brand. Wharfedale.

A friend of mine, who is in possession of a pair of ATC SCM100 speakers, has a pair of wharfedale speakers. I can't remember the model, but it's a two way cabinet that's about 25" wide, 18" deep and 30" tall, but that's probably a ways off.

The tweeters were these interesting little donut shaped domes made out of a composite piece of violet plastic. Very unusual looking tweeter, but a nice sound.

I wonder if anyone will recognize my description?

Yeah! i heard of the JBL making great speakers in those days. But what about Bose or Tannoy (Oxford model was very good :confused: ) and most of them in those days have been used in Professional recording studios. I have also heard about the Infinity speakers as being very grand and unbeatable but at that high-end price not sure if it is worth the money to pay for.

How about Kef speakers, heard they were nice too but i have never tried them out so i don't know which one of the models were highly sought after.

Anyway, any more suggestions because i am thinking of purchasing a new pair of speakers, and these suggestions are valuable to me for choosing the right '70s speakers, as i don't really know a lot about it. So will choose one on popular choice from all you experienced users.

Oh! forgot to mention, after cutting the socket on my Leak 2020 speakers and hooking it up to my Marantz amp 1072 (via bare wire, as suggested by 'Duo'). I finally got the thing working but it sounded terrible and with faults. One of the speakers didn't work while the other one sounded crackly and distorted. So much for my luck as a first timer (i have send it back for a refund). This is why i am considering buying a new pair of speaker that will match my Marantz 1072 amp with that sweet treble sound and a rich tone (thought about getting another Leak Speakers but i think their maybe something better).

Thanks

beta_sound said:
Anyway, any more suggestions because i am thinking of purchasing a new pair of speakers, and these suggestions are valuable to me for choosing the right '70s speakers, as i don't really know a lot about it. So will choose one on popular choice from all you experienced users.
Thanks

It really depends on your source for the speakers and
whether they have to 70's models or perhaps a little later.

But some classic British louspeakers - all stand mounters :

Tannoy Mercury Mk1 (vinyl cabinets) - 8"/1" ~ 20 litres reflex

Spendor Prelude (SA2 real wood version) - 8"/1" ~ 30 litres reflex

Rogers LS7 (real wood) - 8"/1" ~ 30 litres reflex

Celestion SL6S/SI (real wood) 6"/1" ~ 12 litres sealed

There are more lesser known gems, it depends what you want.

:) sreten.

P.S. as far as my recollection goes the
Leak 2020s were never "raved" about.

For sreten, so what of the other less known gem do you know which will be suitable for most types of music (mainly Jazz, funk, disco or even some dance music stuff).

It will be interesting to hunt them down and try it out.

Anyway, cheers for all those suggestions in your last post. Is ther anyone here disagrees with the selcetion of speakers and would challenge him with your own recommendation?

The more selection of speaker the better, but i am going to have to narrow it down to a particular one. And being on a budget i'll need to be very realistic about the chioce and a very good overall speakers to invest in.

Thank you to all.
:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.