Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2004, 10:25 PM   #1
DeanP is offline DeanP  Canada
diyAudio Member

Question What DIY speakers do you have for Ht and why?

I'm in the long process of deciding on which kit to build to start my HT. I have built a Shiva 54l sealed which is going to be Darman clone later this summer!
I have Athenas as my centre and surrounds and Sound Dynamics as my fronts,these will go to another system after I complete my "new" fronts.
I am looking for the fronts as being a match to a future center channel as well.(next spring with cabinet being built this summer)
Here is what I am considering so far:
-Spires by CSS
-AV-1 or -3 if a -2 size cabinet can be used for the -3.
-Audax HT fronts @ Solen.ca

I'm curious to know what others are running and why they chose them...

BTW I posted this in another forum also but I find this forum,which I recently stumbled on, is more "worldly"...
Old 13th May 2004, 03:43 AM   #2
Jhovis is offline Jhovis  United States
diyAudio Member

I built 7 Audax HT speakers, including the F/C/L and 4 surrounds.
I love them but you should know they aren't small...especially the center. I think the center compares to and is better than many $1k centers I've heard. I power them with an HK 7200 and I plan to keep them for a long while.
Old 13th May 2004, 10:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

bump

I guess nobody has built a HT system yet.
Old 14th May 2004, 03:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to AJ Bertelson
Sure they have
http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...homeaudio.html
Old 14th May 2004, 10:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Dean

If you do a search on "Home theatre" and "speakers", or " ht speakers", you will find loads of references on the site.
Old 15th May 2004, 03:22 PM   #6
MikeR is offline MikeR  United States
diyAudio Member

I use the Super Elf speakers and 8" Bolt sub-woofer from www.rawacoustics.ca. These are available in various kit forms or fully assembled. They use Tang Band drivers. Great sound system for the money. I have a 12 x 20 room and the 8" sub is more than enough for home theater use. I also enjoy listening to CD's and concert DVD's through this system. Al Wooley, from Raw Acoustics, is a frequent contributor here and a good guy to deal with.

Highly recommended.
Old 16th May 2004, 03:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I built 7 Audax HT speakers, including the F/C/L and 4 surrounds.
This is what I decided on until somebody stated that Audax isn't going to be selling to DIY much longer, so I won't be able to "build as money flows".
I'm looked at Jon Marsh's M8as also, but tonight, I looked at the plans again and it might be too much for a "first" set of speakers. So I have to look into something else, maybe Patrick Sun's speakers...

Quote:
I use the Super Elf speakers
I thought of those plus the Spires also but I want to upgrade from what I have now and I don't know if they would be an "upgrade". I have Athenas...

There are some other kits out there also that caught my eye but I will look into them also.

I read that the ARdiy's by Ed Frias were pretty good, I might consider these.
Anybody have any other thoughts?

Dean
Old 16th May 2004, 04:02 AM   #8
Jhovis is offline Jhovis  United States
diyAudio Member

Ahh! Your first speakers. Have you looked at the Dayton HT system designed by Wayne J of speakerbuilder.net? Take a look at these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...dht/index.html
Old 16th May 2004, 01:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ahh! Your first speakers.
No, right now I own Athenas by API. I would like to "upgrade", which would have been to the Audax HT have they not, or shall I say, getting out of DIY.

I'm still searching...
Old 16th May 2004, 01:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Don't Solen in Canada deal in parts kits for the Audax system?

It might be worth a call to see what stocks they have of the drivers, if they have plenty, I would definately recommend them. Not the smallest solution, but very nice sounding.

All the drivers are relatively cheap, so if you could just afford to buy the full complement of drivers, you could build the expensive parts, the box and the crossover, over time, to spread out the overall cost.

Hide this!Advertise here!