What DIY speakers do you have for Ht and why?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the long process of deciding on which kit to build to start my HT. I have built a Shiva 54l sealed which is going to be Darman clone later this summer!
I have Athenas as my centre and surrounds and Sound Dynamics as my fronts,these will go to another system after I complete my "new" fronts.
I am looking for the fronts as being a match to a future center channel as well.(next spring with cabinet being built this summer)
Here is what I am considering so far:
-Spires by CSS
-AV-1 or -3 if a -2 size cabinet can be used for the -3.
-Audax HT fronts @ Solen.ca

I'm curious to know what others are running and why they chose them...

BTW I posted this in another forum also but I find this forum,which I recently stumbled on, is more "worldly"...;)

I use the Super Elf speakers and 8" Bolt sub-woofer from www.rawacoustics.ca. These are available in various kit forms or fully assembled. They use Tang Band drivers. Great sound system for the money. I have a 12 x 20 room and the 8" sub is more than enough for home theater use. I also enjoy listening to CD's and concert DVD's through this system. Al Wooley, from Raw Acoustics, is a frequent contributor here and a good guy to deal with.

Highly recommended.

I built 7 Audax HT speakers, including the F/C/L and 4 surrounds.
This is what I decided on until somebody stated that Audax isn't going to be selling to DIY much longer, so I won't be able to "build as money flows".
I'm looked at Jon Marsh's M8as also, but tonight, I looked at the plans again and it might be too much for a "first" set of speakers. So I have to look into something else, maybe Patrick Sun's speakers...

I use the Super Elf speakers
I thought of those plus the Spires also but I want to upgrade from what I have now and I don't know if they would be an "upgrade". I have Athenas...

There are some other kits out there also that caught my eye but I will look into them also.

I read that the ARdiy's by Ed Frias were pretty good, I might consider these.
Anybody have any other thoughts?

Dean

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Don't Solen in Canada deal in parts kits for the Audax system?

It might be worth a call to see what stocks they have of the drivers, if they have plenty, I would definately recommend them. Not the smallest solution, but very nice sounding.

All the drivers are relatively cheap, so if you could just afford to buy the full complement of drivers, you could build the expensive parts, the box and the crossover, over time, to spread out the overall cost. :)

pinkmouse said:
so if you could just afford to buy the full complement of drivers, you could build the expensive parts, the box and the crossover, over time, to spread out the overall cost. :)

A point I was also going to suggest. I recently bought some extra tweeters from PE just in case I ever need to replace them. I only heard a rumor that Audax was getting out of diy, I've never heard that it was actually true. But if it is, I'll buy an extra woofer as backup.
jeff

Still in the planning stage...OB with P17 and 19TNF Seas...augmented by a single Illusion Audio driver for the front...P17 with 19TNF for the centre and still unsure about the surrounds. As for LFE, I have a Shiva in an enclosure about 50L in volume.

I have this system and just what it is because I'm going to University for Electrical Engineering and haven't yet won the lottery. If I do win the lottery, I'll be hosting a DIY meet for sure.

Well,I think I figured out what I'm going to do!

I'm going to build the M8a that Jon Mark Hancock designed that was featured in AudioXpress last Sep-Nov '03. They said that the speaker could also be effective as a centre channel too! They are also the people who said that Audax was getting out of the DIY market because it was bought out by Harmon.

Anyways, I will build a pair of ported for the fronts and a sealed version for the centre channel...:)

These guys over at Htguide believe it it the best speaker for the money and the graphs prove it!
Now I just have to figure out how to install the L-pad for the tweeter as the magazines don't show where it goes.
Ahybody that can help here?

Dean
BTW Thanks for all the suggestions! Much appreciated!:up:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.