Odin's Solist's or MBOW1? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2004, 01:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Odin's Solist's or MBOW1?

I am looking to build a pair of high quality speakers. Thoughts and suggestions are very welcome.

Currently I am looking at the Odin MK3 (madisound, zalytron), the OdinEX (zalytron), and the ScanSpeak Solist (madisound). I dont necessarly have to have a MTM speaker, in fact I also like the MBOW1 a lot but I am not sure if it is in the same league. Does anyone have any suggestions? Both the OdinMK3 and the Solist are a bit out of my price range but I put them there anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Milo
Old 12th May 2004, 01:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You would NOT be unhappy with something based on the hiquphon tweeter, of course the others you mention have good reputations, but from my experience with the OW1 and OW2 I can't see why they might not be considered in the same class. Especially when driven by the exceptional AKSA 100W amp... but then that would be going off topic
Old 12th May 2004, 01:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Mmmm, thank you. Now I am looking at twice as many kits as I was before, I hate you

Sounds like the Odin, and solist aren't worth $400 more than the MBOW1. Thoughts.

Thank you.

Milo
Old 12th May 2004, 08:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've never heard the Mbow1, but I have heard some of Dennis Murphy's other designs and I'm always impressed.

However, there is always an however. The Mbow1 will not produce very usable bass, the GR Research driver is nice, but there is only one, and you're comparing to kits with 2 bigger mid-woofers.

another however, the Mbow1 can upgrade fairly easy to the Mbow 3-way

apples and oranges. What are your listening habits? Your equipment?

Me personally, I would trust DM's ears and abilities over whatever Madisound and Zalytron dish out (no offense Mad and Zal).
Old 13th May 2004, 02:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What are your listening habits? Your equipment?
Primaries (Nina Simone, Choral Music, Jazz, Aphex Twin, Classic Rock)
Secondaries (Tool, Jane's Addiction, Some Rap, Bagpipes)

Currently a Fischer 400 with Beyerdynamic 250-250 headphones. A Tube preamp and a pair of gainclones on the way.

Thanks for your help, your comment on DM's ears over madisound was exactly what I was looking for. The MBOW1 may be shy on bass, but thats OK. Ill build a subwoofer if it dosnt annoy my neighbors.

Milo
Old 13th May 2004, 02:56 AM   #6
jcmkk is offline jcmkk  United States
diyAudio Member

Not that I have any personal experience with them (I'm planning on building some this summer though), but you may want to check out the 1801b's from Ellis Audio. They seem to commonly be considered the next step up from the MBOW1's. Dennis Murphy designed the crossover for them too.
Old 13th May 2004, 03:12 AM   #7
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I disagree with this part_grin_

`
Quote:
Originally posted by johnkramer
Me personally, I would trust DM's ears and abilities over whatever Madisound and Zalytron dish out (no offense Mad and Zal).
I've never done business with Zalytron, and have never listened to anything with Dennis Murphy -

However, Madisound goes to pretty good lengths to produce a good sounding kit, uses leap software for initial crossover design, fine tunes the crossover by ear aftwerward, IIRC, they have an anechoich chamber where they test before finalizing by ear and on at least some occassions the staff take them home and wring them out.

They do this for a full time living and have to be good at it or go out of business.

Having said that mouthful _big grin_, excellent crossover design and implementation is finalized by _a lot_ of listening tests - Dennis may well have done his homework here, I just don't think that you will be well- informed by such a blanket statement

I built the Scan-speak solists with upgraded crossovers, they are _very_ good.

I did not sell my B&W series 111 Matrix's until I was certain that the Solists sounded better, the series three would probably make a list of the top ten classic best, so the solists are very good.

I now listen to Azurahorns and my grown son has the Scan-Speaks - his non -audiophile friends are wowed -

I do believe that the Solist design is a little dated. Also, while I have never heard it, the Hiquphon tweeter has got to be one of the best bargains around -

The Murhpy kit looks to be good value and he likely will update it if improvements to the crossover come along -

You want to be a little wary of "just adding a subwoofer"

I ran a pair of NHT 1259 subs with plate amps as subs for the Solists. The integration was just passable and never really integrated truly well until I took the plate amps out and started using a Crown amp with a digital crossover.

I would tend to say build the Murphy unit because it fits your budget and will sound nice -

If you do choose that, your tradeoff will be difficulty in getting a sub to blend - Just looking at the graphs make me think you'll probably have to cross over pretty high -maybe 175 to 200 for best integration. Most subs and plate amps of this genre _won't_ go high enough to integrate well. Plus the higher you go, the more you need two subs instead of one.

So if you go with the Murphy because of less cost - you may well wind up paying it for in the subs.

If these statements give rise to more questions than answers, you're on the right track - _grin_

Regards

Ken L
Old 13th May 2004, 03:36 AM   #8
Jhovis is offline Jhovis  United States
diyAudio Member

I built a set of MBOW1s back in December/Jan. I like them very much. For classic rock or anything loud, I don't think they are well suited. However, for most of the stuff you mentioned in your primary listening, you'll like them. For $600, you can get the Ellis 1801b which was mentioned above. They should be better on bass but I've never heard them. You should also consider the MBOW1 3-way. As for Zalytron, you'll need to buy the Hiquphon tweets from them. They are $90 each. My MBOW1 site:
http://europa70.tripod.com/mbow1001.htm

Quote:
Originally posted by A3rd.Zero

Primaries (Nina Simone, Choral Music, Jazz, Aphex Twin, Classic Rock)
Secondaries (Tool, Jane's Addiction, Some Rap, Bagpipes)

Currently a Fischer 400 with Beyerdynamic 250-250 headphones. A Tube preamp and a pair of gainclones on the way.

Thanks for your help, your comment on DM's ears over madisound was exactly what I was looking for. The MBOW1 may be shy on bass, but thats OK. Ill build a subwoofer if it dosnt annoy my neighbors.

Milo
Old 13th May 2004, 08:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I was looking at the MBOW1 3way but its up there in price. I am thinking that for the most part Id be happy with some single driver thing for most listening, but things like Aphex Twin, and Tool I imagine don't go too well with such a setup. I was sort of looking at the MBOW1 to be the powerhouse speaker while the single driver would be the "elegant" speaker. I dont have a problem with 2 pairs of speakers . For a little while I thought of the ProAC 2.5 clone for "powerful" music but Im not sure why I havent been thinking about it lately.

Thank you for your help

Milo

Don't attack me for classifying Tool as "powerful" and Nina Simone as "elegant". I am using the two words to define a type of music, of course there are few artists as powerful as Nina Simone but you see where I am going.
Old 13th May 2004, 08:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ken,

Thanks for the tips on sub integration. I certainly have to think about that as my listening room will change drastically in the next few years and right now its small.

Milo

Hide this!Advertise here!