TAD - the magic drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been plugging different drivers into WINisd/JBL Speakershop and then my own spread sheets (which calculate power requirements for drivers in sealed enclosures) for at least 6 month, probably longer, in search of some high-end drivers which will work well in sealed boxes, and at the same time will work on low-powered Aleph X's. I finally found drivers that seem almost too good to be true. Namely the TAD TL-1102 for mid-bass (in 27 Liters) and TAD TL-1802 for the first 2 octaves (in 185 Liters). Based on my calculations, these drivers in the specified configuration will require minimal power for very respectable SPL. I just wanted to make sure I was in the correct ball park. Anyone see a problem with this?

BTW, the TL-1102 will be crossed over at 800 Hz to an ATC-75 "S" midrange, and topped off with a Stage Company high frequency ribbon driver (or something similar). I am hoping to get away with driving the whole thing using 4 (per side) smallish Aleph-Xs. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

I use all TAD drivers in a dipole bass/ open baffle mid/ ribbon tweeter arrangement. They are the best drivers I have ever heard. You will be amazed by the build and sound quality. I have never heard the Stage accompany ribbon but the TAD Beryllium ribbons are superb.
Keep us posted on your project.

tom1356 said:
I use all TAD drivers in a dipole bass/ open baffle mid/ ribbon tweeter arrangement. They are the best drivers I have ever heard. You will be amazed by the build and sound quality. I have never heard the Stage accompany ribbon but the TAD Beryllium ribbons are superb.
Keep us posted on your project.

I am still researching the tweeter. The problem that I have with the TAD is that they want you to cross over at 5kHz (based on info on their site). I do not think my ATC midrange will go quite that high.

Very interesting site - I remember seeing it ages ago, but it has changed quite a bit since then, seems like..... Or maybe my ideas have changes so much, it is hard to say at this point. But based on everything I am reading, I feel very good about the driver choices so far - expensive but not flaky, drivers that have real substance to them.... TAD bass and mid bass, and the ATC high mid "super". When you look at the pictures, you can see where the money goes. The only other driver that looks so substantial (that I have seen) is the Fostex "lab series" 8 inch full range. That thing looks like a warhead, when seen from the rear.... Unfortunately it has a foam sorround...... I wander how high I can push that ATC.... Thanks for your comments.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.