Nwwa PR-15 prize! (And cheap Shiva from there too)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been busy since, designing a plate amp, getting parts here and there, and the box is nearing it's final stages. (The amp just barely getting started.)

This box is really REALLY big. And getting REALLY heavy. I think it's gonna look really nice when it's done though. I'm pretty much following Adire's big box recommendation at 143L :bigeyes: .
http://home.comcast.net/~0fficeboy/shiva/index.html

Anyway, I just wanted to share.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And I guess I could use some tips on finishing the mahogany if anyone has some good ideas.

Oh, thanks Dan W. and Adire :D

Re: Re: Nwwa PR-15 prize! (And cheap Shiva from there too)

moving_electron said:
You are a lucky lucky guy. :)

Be sure to post the completed pic.

By finishing finishing the mahogany I assume you are going to apply mahogony veneer?

If you go to the site, you can see that it's all getting covered in mahogany veneered plywood, in fact it is all covered now.

And I will post lots of pics when I get it done, And foolish me for not thanking Timn8ter for having this great idea of an audio event.

officeboy said:

And I guess I could use some tips on finishing the mahogany if anyone has some good ideas.

For finish I am a very big fan of the Formby's Tung Oil finish, low luster version. It is pretty easy to find.

Mind you I am not really a big fan of normal tung oil as it hasn’t done very well for me. The Formby's tung oil finish name is a bit of a misnomer because the Formby's is really a varnish with some tung oil in it. So in other words, I don't think it should be confused with other tung oil

The best way to use it is to wipe it on in thin coats with a dust free rag. The surface dries rapidly this way so you do not get much dust from the air. Use good ventilation! After the first coat you knock back the fibers by running some fine steel wool lightly over it.

Then you build up the coats. They go on fast so it is not much bother for each application. Be patient as it is tempting to put on a thick coat. The can says it covers in two coats. That really is not a good stopping point as the results will look thin. The real benefit comes from 4-5 coats of thinly applied finish. It really brings up a very rich finish that fully highlights the grain and shimmer of the wood. The 4-5 coats produces what best can be described as a semi-gloss. If you then want it glossier then apply the gloss version on top of this, but I doubt you would end up doing this.

It is very durable finish one it fully hardens. As with all oil based finish it will benefit from a beeswax based or oil based polish of some sort a few months down the road to keep it rich and deep looking. But spray can polish has worked pretty good also.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.