Frequency response relative to volume (loudness)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering if the rated frequency response of a driver is relative to a certain volume. By this I mean if a driver is in a smaller volume of air can it have a broader freq response, such as headphones. Headphones have a very small diahgrams, with little excursion, yet are rate as 40-18K (or whatever), but at a very low volume, and it in a very small space. So my question is could a driver (say a tweeter which might be rated as 3k-20k) have a broader response (say 200-20K) if it were used a small conceiled area?

sreten said:
Basically for tweeters no.

Excursion requirements come in with a vengeance at a phenomenal
rate once you start dropping the lower cut-off frequency point.

:) sreten.

I think that playing the tweeter into a closed cavity and listening into that cavity would add a -12dB/octave slope, that would compensate for the 12dB/oct slope of the tweeter under its fs. There would be no need to increase the dome amplitude. The trouble would be to make the knees of the responses to coincide.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.