TangBand W3-871S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have recently been trying to track down a supplier of TB drivers in Australia and have just found out through TB Speakers there isn't one. They informed me they could ship them to me for $100 US for 4 drivers ($60 shipping + $40 for the drivers). Being a diyer I think this is much for these drivers (unless someone tells me the drivers are so great and are worth every cent, since I haven't heard them).

Can anyone think of a cheaper way to get these drivers? Or are there some Brisbane people out there that would like to go in on a group order to bring down the cost.

Cheers
Jye

I can only make comparisons based on what's available here. For $12US per driver there isn't anything better that I've found than the W3-871S except for the RS 40-1197 which can only be found from collectors anymore. At $25US per driver things change. Then you have to compare to the Fostex drivers which are easily better IMHO.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Timn8ter said:
the RS 40-1197 which can only be found from collectors anymore

Available again brand new from Radio Shack Canada. They even lowered the price to $18 CAD each (vrs $16.50 for the TB).

4 x 16.50 = $66 + $36 surface post = $102 CAD = $101.31 AUD ...

dave

A discussion of the 40-1197 branches off from here.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33965

planet10 said:

Available again brand new from Radio Shack Canada. They even lowered the price to $18 CAD each (vrs $16.50 for the TB).

4 x 16.50 = $66 + $36 surface post = $102 CAD = $101.31 AUD ...

dave

They must have a different strategy in Canada. Down here their stores are all starting to look like the toy section in K-Mart:D
I don't suppose they have the low Fs like the old ones, do they?
Back on topic:
This is a great trend and why DIYers need to stick together. I'm taking parts for a Tempest sub to the Philippines this summer for someone I've never met but he loves music and movies. He may become the only person there with a Tempest sub. :cool:

Can the tangband's mentioned in the topic live happily on their own in a box? I see all sorts of designs with two of them (or many more :)) per box.

This is for a computer setup, where space is at a premium, but I don't want to sacrifice quality if I don't have to (the drivers are cheap enough that I *could* put 2 in each enclosure).

Also, does anyone have any good links to designs using this driver? I have no clue what to do in terms of designing my own boxes... (yet)

Cheers,
Chris

CrisTUFR said:
Can the tangband's mentioned in the topic live happily on their own in a box? I see all sorts of designs with two of them (or many more :)) per box.

This is for a computer setup, where space is at a premium, but I don't want to sacrifice quality if I don't have to (the drivers are cheap enough that I *could* put 2 in each enclosure).

Also, does anyone have any good links to designs using this driver? I have no clue what to do in terms of designing my own boxes... (yet)

Cheers,
Chris

They make for a wonderful little single driver speaker that's great for near field listening.
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=ELF1.0DK
http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-speaker11.html

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=W3871S

Hey Jye
i really do recommend CreativeSound, helped me quite a bit when i got in 4 x JX92s. great service.

i also read somewhere, perhaps it was John K/Zaphods Audio page with his W3-871s computer speakers that the ones RadioShack sell are not identical to the ones CreativeSounds sell.
under spec'ed units i believe. so definately go to CreativeSounds.

was able to get the drivers DHL? express in a week!
cost was triple that of surface, however be warned of import duties stamp duty excise in AU etc etc

Going back to the TangBand discussion, how is the power handling on these things? I would love to use these speakers, but I think I may be overdriving them with most amps I'd plan to use with it (including a Gainclone).

What are your experiences with this? Am I better off with the JX92's since they handle more power?

Also, most of the Ratty ol' Shark offerings seem to be in the lower wattage range as well. How do you guys cope with the majority of the high-wattage or high-current amps out there?

Chris

If you're looking for very high SPLs then you should consider another driver, however, if you're looking to drive them at normal listening levels they can handle it ok. I use TBs in my HT with a 100W per channel SS receiver and haven't blown one up yet. If you put two drivers per enclosure you should be fine.

Going back to the TangBand discussion, how is the power handling on these things? I would love to use these speakers, but I think I may be overdriving them with most amps I'd plan to use with it (including a Gainclone).

What are your experiences with this? Am I better off with the JX92's since they handle more power?

Also, most of the Ratty ol' Shark offerings seem to be in the lower wattage range as well. How do you guys cope with the majority of the high-wattage or high-current amps out there?

Chris
You could have a look at the ELF1.5 here.
I personally have enough volume with one speaker which you can see in this thread.

I´d say go for two per side and you´ll still be much cheaper off that with the Jordan. Actually you could build a tiny sub from the "leftover":D

Regards
Jens

Jye said:
They informed me they could ship them to me for $100 US for 4 drivers ($60 shipping + $40 for the drivers). Being a diyer I think this is much for these drivers (unless someone tells me the drivers are so great and are worth every cent, since I haven't heard them).

Jye,

Have you looked into Neura as a supplier? Last time I checked it was about $50 per driver for the 4" and about $40 for the 3" driver that you are looking at. I got a quote for shipping, and this was based on the exchange rate at the time as well, which has since improved. I think this is very reasonable.

Be sure to allow 5% extra for customs on the cost of the driver.

So allow

Total $AU = ($US Driver cost x current exchange rate x 1.05) + ($US shipping x current exchange rate )

You may wish to email them to see what it will cost you now, but I think you will find their prices reasonable.

Re: Re: Re: Extended Range Drivers

gmilitano said:

Wow, the 1197 is much much nicer! I guess you do get what you pay for.

Did you measure that response yourself?

When using the 1197, do you typically low pass at 9k to avoid that peak between 9 and 14kHz

Cheers,
GM.

That graph is from the Single Driver Website and is an untreated driver. Better response is possible by treating the cone, damping the frame and using a phase plug.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.