Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2004, 09:58 PM   #1
Jye is offline Jye  Australia
diyAudio Member

Question TangBand W3-871S

Hi,

I have recently been trying to track down a supplier of TB drivers in Australia and have just found out through TB Speakers there isn't one. They informed me they could ship them to me for $100 US for 4 drivers ($60 shipping + $40 for the drivers). Being a diyer I think this is much for these drivers (unless someone tells me the drivers are so great and are worth every cent, since I haven't heard them).

Can anyone think of a cheaper way to get these drivers? Or are there some Brisbane people out there that would like to go in on a group order to bring down the cost.

Cheers
Jye
Old 6th May 2004, 10:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I can only make comparisons based on what's available here. For $12US per driver there isn't anything better that I've found than the W3-871S except for the RS 40-1197 which can only be found from collectors anymore. At $25US per driver things change. Then you have to compare to the Fostex drivers which are easily better IMHO.
Old 7th May 2004, 02:18 AM   #3
Mikey p is offline Mikey p  Canada
diyAudio Member

Jye,

I will be going on holidays to Brisbane from Canada at the end of July. I can bring 4 of them for you if you want. If you're interested let me know.
Old 7th May 2004, 02:26 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Cheers Mikey p, that would be awesome and it just gave me an idea, I will be going to London in mid June for a week and then to Gdansk (Poland), does anyone know if there is a supplier I can pick some up from while over there?

If this doesn't work then I will definitely be in contact Mikey
Old 7th May 2004, 02:30 AM   #5
Mikey p is offline Mikey p  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sounds good.
Old 7th May 2004, 02:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just got a email back from a supplier of Fostex FE83E drivers in Australia and they want $50 US so I think I will stick with the TB's
Old 7th May 2004, 07:06 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
the RS 40-1197 which can only be found from collectors anymore
Available again brand new from Radio Shack Canada. They even lowered the price to $18 CAD each (vrs $16.50 for the TB).

4 x 16.50 = $66 + $36 surface post = $102 CAD = $101.31 AUD ...

dave

A discussion of the 40-1197 branches off from here.

Radio Shack 40-1197 (aka FE103)
Old 7th May 2004, 01:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Available again brand new from Radio Shack Canada. They even lowered the price to $18 CAD each (vrs $16.50 for the TB).

4 x 16.50 = $66 + $36 surface post = $102 CAD = $101.31 AUD ...

dave
They must have a different strategy in Canada. Down here their stores are all starting to look like the toy section in K-Mart
I don't suppose they have the low Fs like the old ones, do they?
Back on topic:
This is a great trend and why DIYers need to stick together. I'm taking parts for a Tempest sub to the Philippines this summer for someone I've never met but he loves music and movies. He may become the only person there with a Tempest sub.
Old 7th May 2004, 02:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Can the tangband's mentioned in the topic live happily on their own in a box? I see all sorts of designs with two of them (or many more ) per box.

This is for a computer setup, where space is at a premium, but I don't want to sacrifice quality if I don't have to (the drivers are cheap enough that I *could* put 2 in each enclosure).

Also, does anyone have any good links to designs using this driver? I have no clue what to do in terms of designing my own boxes... (yet)

Cheers,
Chris
Old 7th May 2004, 03:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrisTUFR
Can the tangband's mentioned in the topic live happily on their own in a box? I see all sorts of designs with two of them (or many more ) per box.

This is for a computer setup, where space is at a premium, but I don't want to sacrifice quality if I don't have to (the drivers are cheap enough that I *could* put 2 in each enclosure).

Also, does anyone have any good links to designs using this driver? I have no clue what to do in terms of designing my own boxes... (yet)

Cheers,
Chris
They make for a wonderful little single driver speaker that's great for near field listening.
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=ELF1.0DK
http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-speaker11.html

Hide this!Advertise here!