Possible T-nut group buy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm quite new to this whole speaker building thing, but I have been looking about for a good way of securing my drivers to teh front pannel of my speaker cabintes, and the simplest thing I seem to have found to do this would be to use T-nuts and some M4 bolts (nice black, socket cap ones). The only problem I have found is that the only place I can seem to find the T-nuts in small quantities is Wilmslow Audio, who want to charge £2.00 for just eight!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So, I have been having a bit of a look about and I have indeed found a cheeper scource (only about 3p each), the only problem being they come in boxes of 3000 (just a few too many for what I will need).

So, what I was wondering is if there were any other speaker builders out there who would want to split the price of a box with me (I guess it would realisticaly take about ten people in total, to bring the price down to a fairly reasonable £9.00 for 300 fastners).

If anyone would be intrested in this, let me know, as I really begrudge paying so much for these from Wilmslow just because I only want a small amount of them.

Hi Bigparsnip, what I do for fastening drivers is spot through/mark the holes, drill clear on M4 (4.5mm or so) and from the back face open the hole to a size less than a M4 nut (7mm) by 3mm deep and press/knock a nut in.:smash: A bit of glue may be added if required.
HTH
Steve

Attachments

• wall_1a.jpg
    wall_1a.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 288
Most speakers are made from MDF or Particle board. Driver cutout lips are usually around 1/2" (12.5mm). It seems to me that knocking a Tnut in place would be prone to chipping the inside lip or worse, cracking the driver cutout. I've never tried them granted..
Is this actually untrue?
--
Danny

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
bigparsnip said:
Hi, I'm quite new to this whole speaker building thing, but I have been looking about for a good way of securing my drivers to teh front pannel of my speaker cabintes, and the simplest thing I seem to have found to do this would be to use T-nuts and some M4 bolts (nice black, socket cap ones). The only problem I have found is that the only place I can seem to find the T-nuts in small quantities is Wilmslow Audio, who want to charge £2.00 for just eight!

If you want, I can order them from Parts Express or McMaster-Carr and ship them out to you. I could also order bolts to go with them. Let me know exactly which ones you want, and I can find some pricing information. I won't charge you anymore than it costs me to obtain them and paypal fees. Shipping would be $10 if they all will fit in one of those Global Priority envelopes.

EDIT:

Here is some pricing for these M4 tee nuts:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

$10.20 for 6mm barrel height for 100 pieces
$11.00 for 8mm barrel height for 100 pieces

There are cheaper prices here for imperial sizes, and I can also get you matching bolts/nuts.

--
Brian

I guess I'll have a look at B&Q first if people have seen them there, as the postage costs would probably make things of a similar price to getting them over here I imagine (I only relay need 40 or so at the minute). Brian, I also take it that the ones you would be able to get hold of would be in imperial sizes (or worse) so getting the ones that will fit my allen key's may prove a bit of a problem (or can you get metric fixings over there these days?)

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
bigparsnip said:
I guess I'll have a look at B&Q first if people have seen them there, as the postage costs would probably make things of a similar price to getting them over here I imagine (I only relay need 40 or so at the minute). Brian, I also take it that the ones you would be able to get hold of would be in imperial sizes (or worse) so getting the ones that will fit my allen key's may prove a bit of a problem (or can you get metric fixings over there these days?)

Go to www.mcmaster.com

They have a wide selection of parts, in imperial and metric sizes.

For the T-nuts, you need to search for tee nuts. For the bolts, search for Socket Head Cap screws.

They also sell allen keys, which aren't too expensive. I usually buy a couple when I order bolts, because they are too easy to lose.

I like these things myself:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=324835#post324835

--
Brian

B&Q should be your first port of call if you're looking for a small quantity. They have a range of sizes though they're not the cheapest place. Try also screwfix and google uk should get you many choices. You certainly don't need to order these from overseas.

However, tee-nuts suck IMO and I haven't been able to hunt down hurrican/propeller nuts in the UK. But the inserts you linked in post #2 are even better. I got mine with allan headed bolts from BK Electronics although they're not cheap (albeit because of the gold plates bolts).

Some pics at the bottom of this page.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.