diy dynaudio evidence and Rockport Hyperion? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2004, 05:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default diy dynaudio evidence and Rockport Hyperion?

Anyone share the experience of diy dynaudio evidence and Rockport Hyperion speaker?
Old 7th May 2004, 04:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

What speaker unit inside in Rockport Hyperion?
Old 7th May 2004, 05:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Rockport Hyperion?
The tweeter looks like an Esotar and the mid and woofers are made by Audiotechnology of Denmark:

http://www.audiotechnology.dk/iz.asp?id=4|a|130|||

Regards

Charles
Old 7th May 2004, 11:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

They indeed look like audiotechnology and now you've got a problem because they only make custum ones (except c-quence)

Ralph
Old 7th May 2004, 11:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
and now you've got a problem because they only make custum ones
This is not the REAL problem since you could order drivers with the same specs.
The real problem is to find out what the specs of the "original" ones are. I think Audiotechnology would be reluctant to tell you the parameters of the drivers a particular OEM customer uses, while one can assume that they wouldn't hesitate to build you some drivers to YOUR specs, even if they were the same as someone else's.
I once ordered some drivers from them made to my specs and they have excellent build quality.

Regards

Charles
Old 7th May 2004, 11:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Their boxes, which weigh nearly six hundred pounds per side and come in three stackable pieces, are definitely high-tech—elegant hourglass figures, exquisitely finished in piano-black lacquer on all sides and fabricated of a carbon-fiber, epoxy, and MDF composite in a massive constrained-layer design. What is housed inside this high-tech enclosure, however, appears to be anything but esoteric. The Hyperion's drivers—two 13-inch dynamic woofers, ported to the rear, two 6-inch midrange drivers, and a single silk-dome tweeter (the Dynaudio Esotar T330 D)—are ordinary-looking cones, arrayed in an ordinary-looking D'Appolito configuration (woofers and mids in separate enclosures and subenclosures on top and bottom, and the tweeter in a box of its own in between).
Good luck :-)
Old 8th May 2004, 01:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I've been trying to find out about how to clone the Dynaudio Evidence Temptation for several months now. Unfortunately, no one has been very helpful or offered any information up to this point, but I've gained quite a bit of knowledge on my own. For instance, one of the issues that arise with a clone is that the only Esotar tweeters that are available are the Esotar 1. The problem with that is that the newer Esotar 2 use a smaller diameter (neodymium) magnet, which allows them to place the tweeters in such a way that their centers are about 2 & 3/4 inches apart. The closest that the Esotar 1 tweeters could be place is about an inch farther apart. Does this make a difference? I don't know. Dynaudio also claims that only one of these tweeters sees the full frequency range while the other is cut off at about 8000. The thinking behind this is that lobing will not be a problem below the cutoff frequency of the second tweeter. They also claim to follow this thought process for the midrange and bass drivers. I believe that this is all in an effort to control vertical dispersion. Actually, I'm in work right now, but I'll fill you in on what I know later. The other issue is that the midrange driver used isn't the 15W75. If it is, they used a smaller dustcap.. I believe that the bass drivers are the 17WLQ though. Anyway, I'm trying to get the center module to work before I tackle the bass cabinets anyway. I've even offered people selling this speaker on audiogon $250.00 if they can provide good photos and a schematic of the crossovers. I have seen the crossover and it consists of 4 boards. It really isn't as difficult to sketch as one might think and to tell you the truth, I really didn't need the crossover info for the bass units, because I was using an active crossover anyway. In addition, the crossover is easily accessible from the back of the speaker. Anyway, it just goes to show you that people lack motivation. For $250.00, I'd invest 1 to 2 hours of my time to sketch this thing up. Oh well.... I'm sure that I'll find someone to do it. OK.. I'm in work and have to run for now, but I'd be happy to share any info that I have accumulated up till this point.

Later, Nick
Old 9th May 2004, 10:34 AM   #8
tktran is offline tktran  Australia
Account Disabled

I can't see how these can be cloned because the drivers can't be bought off the shelf.

If the appeal is in large multi-driver symmetric arrays, what about building something like this, but even better, using more of the current model drivers.

All Seas Excel - WWMTTMWW - 4 x Seas W22EX, 2 x W15CH or M15CH, 2 x T25CF-002

I'm not saying it'd be easy, but at least you can source the drivers...

Rest assured cost will be sky-high...
Old 9th May 2004, 01:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Actually, these drivers can be bought off the shelf in Denmark. Unfortunately, the costs is very high. Fortunately, that doesn't aplpy to me. I already have all the drivers. I've been buying them off of ebay for a while now. The drivers alone have cost me over $2000.00.

Quote:
Originally posted by tktran
I can't see how these can be cloned because the drivers can't be bought off the shelf.

If the appeal is in large multi-driver symmetric arrays, what about building something like this, but even better, using more of the current model drivers.

All Seas Excel - WWMTTMWW - 4 x Seas W22EX, 2 x W15CH or M15CH, 2 x T25CF-002

I'm not saying it'd be easy, but at least you can source the drivers...

Rest assured cost will be sky-high...
Old 13th August 2004, 01:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

well... I think I found someone to share some ideas...
I'm been working on a project of a speaker exploring Dynaudio drivers and "technology" as all we know the DÁpolito config, phase coherent crossovers, heavy dampening, and other features are NOT Dynaudio only research. I'm constructing something like the Confidence 4, but using 21W54, 15W75 and D260/D28-2 ... yes, they did cost around 1500 USD... The speakers are in veneering phase and I'm expecting good results here, but I do not know what to expect about sound from them.

If cloning ideas do fail... I intend to multi amplify the speakers, using LM4780 for each driver, and active crossing them also. I am sure I will get a better result then my small JVC mini system as I already have a transport and DIY DAC to feed the Dynaudios.

Regards...

Euclides.

Hide this!Advertise here!