Where is Linaeum Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ya if you go to radio shack and ask for a replacement tweeter for the LX-5. It was the bookshelf with the 6" woofer and the dipole tweeter.

Heres a picture of the box of my pair. I bought these probably a year and a half ago, but the box looks pretty original design.

You can see part # 40-1389. I think they were ~$30 each, plus like $10 for special order.

Attachments

• dipole.jpg
    dipole.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,101
I'm using a Dynaudio 17W75EXT (4 ohm) per side in well-damped/stuffed concrete truncated "pipes" @ 26L (if I remember correctly) with a Linnaeum sitting on top--XO around 3400hz 6db slope--they sound terrific. One time I blew my original Linnaeums (with the silk diaphram) but managed to order a new pair as LX5 replacement tweeters from RS. These have the plastic diaphragm but still sound pretty nice. Total cost was around $70 including postage to Hawaii.
Getting back to you question--you can't go wrong with Dynaudios if you can find a pair on ebay--the EXT's go up to 5K so they seem to mate well with the Linnaeums in my experience. Good luck and have fun with your project.:)

Re: How is Linaeum tweeter different?

goldyrathore said:
Hi,
Does anyone know why Linaeum tweeter sounds so different than other tweeters? What kind of technology is it? If they really sound as good as claimed by many, why did it die out?
Thanks,
Goldy
It is patented so no one else can make them for sale. They are a line source tweeter where the sound travels down a membrane from a linear voice coil setup.

"why did it die out?"

1. Poor distribution channel matchup (Radio Shack)?
2. Poor driver choice for bottom end (woofer got lousy reviews)?
3. Heil AMT (fantastic) had very similar problems and fate.
4. Radio Shack used cheap plastic ribbon knock-off from Malaysia -- AuraSound uses silk ribbon
5. It is not dead :whazzat: (see: AuraSound Baby Grand Home Theatre System)

Aura is being more realistic and accurate quoting the 20k (no pun intended).

Their silk ribbon is definitely better, as is their quality control.

You are more likely to get miss-matched drivers from RS.

Crossover at 3k or above (I crossed over at 3.5k)

There is a noticeable dip between 2k and 3k.

Regards

Joe

Re: Aurasound goes only 20k but RS goes 25k

goldyrathore said:
Hi,

How is it that RS unit goes to 25K whereas Aurasound unit goes to 20K and is still considered better. What is the crossover frequency for both? Can users of both please help?

Thanks in advance,
Goldy
Smoother is the answer for why the silk is better. As said above 3k for the xover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.