Why DIY?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
chipco3434 said:
OK, I get it now. Perhaps this is the next project. What do you like for woofers in the 8" range? I could use this effectively with a plate amp I think???

I was talking about built into the speakers themselves and you want to go as big as will fit, it looks like a pair of 12's will fit in the bottom of each. Bigger will move more more air which is needed for bass. I'm down in Costa Rica and shipping and duties at least double the price, so I only use what is available down here. I like listening first anyway because speakers all sound so different. I've used $8-$12 Nippon woofers for a cheap solution for dipole bass.

Back to the thread topic: Pioneer has an 8" fullrange driver for $21 at partsexpress that I understand works very well on OB and a quote from LSPG "competes well with" very expensive full range drivers like lowther, etc. see http://ldsg.snippets.org/sect-3.php3
and go down to Pioneer. I've heard a small foam ring around the wizzer is a nice tweak. If you need more spl, then MTM setup with a super tweeter to add to the top end, would make a great dipole HT setup for about $60/speaker. Add a good sub that's well integrated and the system would be hard to beat SQ wise and at a bargain price.

I got into DIY for several reasons, cost being one of them, but not my only reason.

I'm in college, going for a EE. In my basic classes, in my free time I started making crossovers and studying them with a speaker, they really helped me "see" what was going on better than a 'scope. I started with a cheap full range driver in open air, a signal generator, some components and a bread board. It just took off from there.

I also got into DIY because that's how my parents raised me. I was taught that you'll never appreciate a job well done as much as when it was your job that you did well.

Thirdly, being in college, I'm poor. It's not so much the overall cost that appeals to me, but if I need $250 in components, I can buy the woofers one week, the tweets the next, the wood and finish, then the final crossover components last. I cringe if I spend $250 at once. If I spread that over a month, my wallet is much happier. That, and I know that I will have better sounding speakers than if I just spent $250 on a commercial product, even if just a little better (which they always sound much better)

back_front_small.jpg

blue-small.jpg

Cost: about 350€ each on all materials (excl my hours of course)
Sound: priceless
Looks: priceless

You would have to spent a lot of money to match the quality of the sound when buying commercial units. I had help on the filters and measurements from Tony Gee(nius)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.