Calculate BL - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2004, 07:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Default Calculate BL

Here's a formula for BL from an old thread:

Quote:
Qes=1/(ws*Cms*Res) and
Cms=Vas/(rho0*c^2 *Sd^2) and
Res=(Bl)^2 / Re

Bl=sqrt((rho0*c^2*Sd^2*Re)/(ws*Vas*Qes))

rho0 = density of air =1.2 kg/m^3
c = velocity of sound = 345 m/s
Sd = Equivalent piston area in m^3
Re = voice coil DC resistance in ohm
ws = 2 *pi * fs
fs = free air resonant frequency of the driver in Hz
Vas = Volume equivalent to the cone suspension
Qes = "electrical" Q value of the driver
and sqrt... meaning the square root of ...
The definition of Sd can't be right, because m^3 is a volume, not an area. What should it be?

Thankee.
Dave
__________________
Davy Jones
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2004, 07:52 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chamblee, Ga.
m^2, but I use this formula so that I can input Sd in cm^2 and Vas in liters:

BL = SQRT((rho*(c*0.0001)^2*Sd^2*Re)/((2*PI*Fs)*(Vas*0.001)*Qes))

It's nit-picking, but I've found the best correlation with actual measurements is when rho = 1.20997 kg/m^3 and c = 344.424m/sec..

GM
__________________
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2004, 08:06 PM   #3
Svante is offline Svante  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Svante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Stockholm
Default Re: Calculate BL

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Jones
The definition of Sd can't be right, because m^3 is a volume, not an area. What should it be?

[/B]
Yes, sorry, it should have been m^2.
__________________
Simulate loudspeakers: Basta!
Simulate the baffle step: The Edge
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2004, 08:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Quote:
Originally posted by GM
m^2, but I use this formula so that I can input Sd in cm^2 and Vas in liters:

BL = SQRT((rho*(c*0.0001)^2*Sd^2*Re)/((2*PI*Fs)*(Vas*0.001)*Qes))

It's nit-picking, but I've found the best correlation with actual measurements is when rho = 1.20997 kg/m^3 and c = 344.424m/sec..

GM
Ahhhhhh.

BL = 1.1239

Thanks much.
__________________
Davy Jones
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2004, 08:48 PM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chamblee, Ga.
Hmm, I double checked to make sure I didn't copy it wrong from my spreadsheet, so you must have done something wrong since it calcs to 4.5015 using the FE107E published specs, while Fostex lists it at 4.7. The difference being that theirs is calc'd using a different 'p' and 'rho'. You can sim using both to see the subtle difference it makes.

I can't imagine any driver having such a low BL.

GM
__________________
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2004, 09:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Hmm, I double checked to make sure I didn't copy it wrong from my spreadsheet, so you must have done something wrong since it calcs to 4.5015 using the FE107E published specs, while Fostex lists it at 4.7. The difference being that theirs is calc'd using a different 'p' and 'rho'. You can sim using both to see the subtle difference it makes.

I can't imagine any driver having such a low BL.

GM
When I use 4.5, the ML King spreadsheet graphs look ridiculous. I guess I'm doing something wrong.
__________________
Davy Jones
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2004, 10:17 PM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chamblee, Ga.
Dunno. Since you have a licensed copy, send me your .mcd worksheet and a description of what you're trying to accomplish.

GM
__________________
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2004, 05:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Dunno. Since you have a licensed copy, send me your .mcd worksheet and a description of what you're trying to accomplish.

GM

Thanks for the kind offer. I found my mistake, though. I miscalculated the effective cone area. I omitted pi. Doh!

It's looking pretty good now. I tried emailing it to you, but the diyAudio.com email thingy does not have a provision for attachments that I could find.

Here are the goals:

1. Cheap
2. Low enough bass to cross over to a sub at about 100 Hz (or below)
3. Small enough to fit a 15x15 ft office.

I'm actually going to build at least two sets of speakers. Only one set has to be inexpensive. But I'm doing the cheap one first.

A friend is going to build the cabinets. He's keen on using Fostex fe107e's. So be it. The fe107e has a small suckout between 400 and 600 Hz, so I've tried to put the transmission line 3F ripple right on top it.

Here's one design:

So = Sl = 30 in^2
L = 43 in
driver at 10"
0.75 lb/ft^3 stuffing top to bottom
Attached Images
File Type: png fe107e 43 30 10.png (2.8 KB, 252 views)
__________________
Davy Jones
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2004, 02:05 AM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chamblee, Ga.
Hmm, I didn't check, just assumed you could. Anyhoo, your pipe is way too big/overstuffed. The only way to get solid/smooth output to 100Hz is in a ML-TL, though you won't be able to design in a 500-600Hz hump in the response. Of course you'll still need some BSC if not nearfield.

Max flat using published specs:

rp = 0.5"
Lp = 0.75"
density = 0.2lbs/ft^3

L (in)
15.38

S0/SL (in^2)
21.366

driver (in)
6.302

Vb(ft^3)
0.19

Fs or Fb (Hz)
83.9

GM
__________________
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2004, 02:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Hmm, I didn't check, just assumed you could. Anyhoo, your pipe is way too big/overstuffed. The only way to get solid/smooth output to 100Hz is in a ML-TL, though you won't be able to design in a 500-600Hz hump in the response. Of course you'll still need some BSC if not nearfield.

Max flat using published specs:
...etc
Dang! How did you do that?
__________________
Davy Jones
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is it correct to calculate OTL? sam8888ysl Tubes / Valves 15 26th November 2007 05:48 AM
How to calculate the BL of driver p_eric Subwoofers 21 3rd November 2006 11:52 AM
Calculate SPL exuviae Subwoofers 3 5th July 2006 07:51 AM
help ! how to calculate?????????? bogdan_borko Solid State 3 18th January 2006 10:15 PM
Calculate BL? Dave Jones Multi-Way 3 4th May 2004 08:04 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:17 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2