Has anyone used 'Heil Air Motion' Transducer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There is no question the Heil is an excellent tweeter...

We have used them in an AMT-1 converted to 3-way, and in a 2-way with a pr of Fostex 9" woofers (push-push)... the latter was the one i liked best. 1st order passive XO at about 2k. Biamping should be even better since finding woofers that are anywhere near as efficient as the Heils is hard (or very expensive)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BobEllis said:
OK, I'll bite. Where can you get them other than as part of a system?

I understand they are available as parts from ESS in California (real cheap too from what i hear). The 2 we used were, in the 1st case attached to the client's AMT1s, and n the 2nd bought used.

Haven't hear them in a while, but listening to them was one of the reasons I kept going back to that store in Ann Arbor 25+ years ago.

How do they compare to a Raven R-1?

Haven't heard R1s... certainly more efficient, more robust, go lower, dipoles (no cavity resonance) and if the price i heard is right, cheaper.

dave

I had an early model ESG1 (biggest one) which sounded horrible, not extended at all, very metallic. However, other people using the latest model Aurum Cantus(sp?) units say they are as good as Ravens.

AMT is still one of my favourite tweeters - very strong, detailed, smooth and sweet and large listening image.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.