Richard Allan speakers. T-S parameters attached.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
T-S parameters of many of the old, but well-respected Richard Allan drive units.

Data just received from RA themselves.

Attachments

• richard-allan.gif
    richard-allan.gif
    25.7 KB · Views: 3,474
Hi,
I had a R.A. Pavane way back in '71/2. It was a 3way with a power handling for the whole including crossover of 25w from memory.
The CG12 in there would I guess handle about 15w (or maybe it was 12.5w) but it was very efficient. When replaced with Tannoy HPD385 (94db/w) in 100litre cabs the Pavane needed less voltage than the Tannoy for the same volume.
In those days manufacturers had only just started going down the route of using power to replace air inside the cabinet. Only recently have they started re-inventing the wheel to get impact and livelyness back into speakers.

OK, this is a few years out of date, but I guess it is worth adding a snippet ehre...

The Richard Allan ATLAS speakers were quite high power for their time. The ATLAS-15 was the big brother of the HD-15. The HD-15 was 125Watts "RMS". The HD-15 used a 2 inch voice coil, and with music driven at these levels is a reliable driver.

The appilcation of the HD and ATLAS series was for PA use, though these drivers are of excellent quality, and more than applicable for hifi use. They have a surprisingly flat frequency response and low distortion even to fairly high levels.

I used to have a pair of Richard Allan CG-12 drivers. I would imagine they will be very similar to the one with the whizzer.

Fs: 32Hz
Vas: 257 Litres
Qt: 0.425
Qm: 10.1
Qe: 0.44
Le: 0.53mH
Re: 7.46 Ohms
Sd: 490 cm2

These were best in a fairly decent sized vented enclosure. They were absolutely excellent drivers, and had a very well behaved frequency response.

Phil

You will be able to get away with a much smaller box than that - but dont expect a petite little 20 litre box - these are honest to god fold fashioned drivers... Big vented boxes a go-go.

I reckon those drivers used to be in a box of about 150litres or so - they were big but not crazy. I do not have the actual box dimensions as rather unusually for myself I reused the original boxes.

I do recommend that you measure the T&S parameters yourself. Tricks to this are:
- Measure Re as accurately as you can - the remaining parameters are very sensitive to errors in this
- If you have a sound card based measurement system, use Audua using the aded mass method, or
- If you dont have a sound card measurement system, use an oscillator, multimeter and closed box method. There are online tools that will walk you through this.

One thing that your model should have shown is that you can expect some surprisingly good low end performance from the drivers.

On measuring their frequency response I also found that their response out to quite a high frequency (kilohertz region) was very good indeed.

Have fun!

My only experience is with a pair of CG10T I still have. Very fine vintage drivers. Not quite fullrange, but good up to 7-8kHz easy. These, like what seems true of most RA drivers, would be at home in a rather large vented box or even sealed could be decent. I mostly played them in a pair Karlson K12 I built. That was a very dynamic and puncy combo. Also had them in a ~50L reflex for a while, but they could use more Vb, probably around 100L.

IG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.