Standing wave in a bass cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I work on a new speaker design and would like to avoid standing wave problem (as much as possible) on the bass section of the cabinet.

The bass section of the cabinet have a special shape :

10.5" W x 10.5" H x 17.25" D at the bottom and then
6.5" W x 14" H x 17.25" D

Just like a stove with a chimney ;)
The x-over point is 350Hz and the upper part would be fill with fiberglass as well as a part of the bottom.

What do you think
:confused:

Svante said:
If it is a closed box, filling it with fiberglass is a good way of avoiding standing waves. If it is a bass-reflex, you should not have as much stuffing, but it will probably be OK anyway.

Hi Svante,

It's a closed box. You confirmed what I was thinking. With the x-over point, standing wave should not be a big problem in this box + fiberglass will do the rest of the job.

Thanks for your answer ! :)

Hmmm...I think you should be fine as long as you line the cabinet walls with dampening material and stuff it loosely, like what Svante has said. The golden ratio doesn't really apply in this situation, unfortunately. I'm afraid this is as much as I can help you.

Good luck.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.