Human Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone actually built/heard a set of Human Speakers? I'm intrigued by them and thinking about building the EPI 100 clone. They seem to be highly regarded, but I have yet to find anyone that has actually heard them. Any input would be appreciated...thanks.

Ryan

I have heard the Human 81 speakers and once owned the EPI 100. The Human 81 sound a lot better than the old EPI's. The work done tweaking the drivers is noticeable.

Recently, I moved the drivers into an 81+ enclosure. I would recommend the larger enclosure over the smaller. The sound is more open and the low end is more nuanced.

I do have the drivers for a pair of 88-41's but have not yet started the enclosures.

100's were legendary for a reason

Winslow Burhoe designed the EPI 100's for very flat response with what might be called a mechanical crossover. The woofer naturally rolled off above the crossover point (1.8 Khz IIRC). The tweeter did all the work above 2.2 KHz and it was a splendid tweeter.

The crossover was a single 10 uF cap. Very little power loss and really good performance for an inexpensive speaker (the goal). Human has done a good job of working with modern drivers to get a better version of these simple effective speakers out there for us to try.

I've owned EPI's since new in the 1970s. I have upgraded mine with better wiring, caps, cabinet bracing, etc. My EPI 50's have B&G drivers for more effective bass. My 100's are still running the original drivers.

I would say you can build an excellent speaker from one of the kits or parts if you have a suitable cab? Go for it and have fun?

OBTW - you can call them any time to discuss their work. Mr. Burhoe is still around and answerers email at Silent Speakers. He is rightfully a legend ion the speaker world for doing so much with so little.:)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: 100's were legendary for a reason

BrocLuno said:
I've owned EPI's since new in the 1970s. I have upgraded mine with better wiring, caps, cabinet bracing, etc. My EPI 50's have B&G drivers for more effective bass. My 100's are still running the original drivers.

I had 50s & 100s in the 70s too... your 100s must have required new surrounds by now?

dave

New surrounds ?

You bet, they are in my shop for round two as I write this. They still keep cooking though!

As the surrounds age, I hear them and make sure they either get rotated out, or only used somewhere like a bedroom where they'll get played softly until I can get to them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.