Need advice- tweeter for close range...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
requirements:
Excellent for near field listening
Can withstand heavy air pressure changes (no ribbons)
It will be used in a 3 way setup
It will be crossed over to the midrange with a passive X over around 4 or 5k I am going to design
Needs to have good off axis dispersion, the primary listening area will be off axis probaly 50-30 degrees
Good power handling and can get loud with low distortion
Preferably 4 ohms but not required
Not too expensive, maybe $40 per tweet max
Needs to be physically small, I cant have a tweeter with a 3" cutout, thats too large.
Im also thinking of a 3/4" driver, since Im crossing it over so high and it should disperse better.
Material not too important, so long as it sounds good.

Anything by Vifa, Silverflute, etc? I am even willing to consider "car stereo" tweeters.

The Vifa D26NC-05-06 fills many of your requirements, except that of good dispersion. It is compact, should be able to handle a lot of power with its built-in heatsink, and is 6-ohm.

http://www.d-s-t.com/vifa/index.htm

Also take a look at Audax's neodymium compact tweeters, available in textile and titanium domes and 3/4" and 1" sizes. Morel has compact tweeters, too, though at higher prices.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I might have struck gold with that one. I did a search on the internet and it looks like alot of people are using these tweeters and recommending them. I also think I like the fact its a textile dome. I have MBQuart metal domes right now right next to the midbasses and I have the passive X over tweet level set to MINIMUM and ontop of that I still have even more treble turned down on the active EQ/xover. Screw those metal ear bleeders!

OK to unveil what I was planning, I am using these as car stereo tweeters. I'm building a 3 way setup with DIY style components. I have finally narroed down my choices- 8" Silverflute 4 ohm midbass x'd over about 800-1000hz to 4" Vifa MG22 (i think) midrange then x'd over to these tweeters probably anywhere between 3-6k (have to experiment). The 8"s and 4s will be mounted in the doors. The 8's I plan on having flat (facing each other) and the midranges will be angled as best I can for on axis sound. From the looks of it though, those midranges have excellent dispersion.

How do you know it has poor dispersion anyway? I tried to look up the specs online but I couldnt find any technical papers on it. However now that I think about it, it might not be so bad, since Im planning on the tweeters to be in the A pillars, so aimability should be pretty easy, not to mention it IS a car stereo tweeter.

Any recommendations on perhaps premade crossovers, or should I just build my own?

Now I just have to order the stuff from madisound to get the ball rolling.

eRiCdWoNg said:
since Im planning on the tweeters to be in the A pillars, so aimability should be pretty easy,

I started to post something earlier to this thread on this -

Dispersion in a tweeter can make or break -

I will never forget how much difference there was the first time I toed in the tweeters on my former B&W 801 series III _grin_

You may well want to consider some form of aiming - or consider 454 casull's suggestions -

Regards

Ken L

454Casull said:
http://www.d-s-t.com/peerless/dataover/tw_dome.htm

The 30-deg and 60-deg responses for the Ring Dome tweeter look good.

However: http://www.d-s-t.com/peerless/dataover/tw_neo.htm

The 811434 has a nice on-axis response and decent off-axis response...

Thanks, that looks good. How are peerless tweets anyway?

Im sorta up in the air between the 2 cause the first one has a rather large peak on axis above 10k ish, but then it levels off axis. The second one has good onaxis, but the exteme highs drop off quickly off axis compared to the first.

Perhaps Ill try the first one, since I can always EQ out the peak, if that proves to be a problem cause its easier to cut then boost...

If I can make a suggestion:

I don't have any experience in car audio, but, personnally, i would try to put as much signal as possible on the tweeters (they will be placed on the dashboard right?). Just to make sure that more music come from the two tweeters in front and less from the mids in the doors, below. You may have better imaging this way...

F

have you considered a good coax design? Word is the Seas coax's are pretty spiffy off axis and to me that means they'd work good in a car. Separation of the tweeters from the mid/woofers isn't really gonna do anything for imaging, it'll just skew it more. The best car audio systems I've heard that imaged well either had heavily eq'ed custom horns under the dash (with the horn throats taking up allot of space) or, a nice tight package in the kick panels and running a phantom center channel in the center consol. Don't laugh at this, phantom center channel has been a trick in getting good imaging since the 60's in home audio, take a look at Dynaco's history.
Just something to think about.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.