speaker simulation software for Mac OSX - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2004, 10:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default speaker simulation software for Mac OSX

WinSID won´t work on my machine.... anyone know of a freeware program that I can run on my mac?

Thanks!
Old 26th April 2004, 10:51 PM   #2
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps you can get somthing to open MS Excel files, in which case you may be able to use Unibox. I think there is a simplified online WinISD version which you can use.
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 27th April 2004, 05:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Since I converted to Mac, I looked for a simulation software with the result of using
a PC simulator :-(
If you find something suitable, I would like to join, but .....

Greetings Till
Old 27th April 2004, 06:40 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I use MacSpeakerz -- runs in Classic, but does an OK job. Not free thou. I also have a bunch of spreadsheets (in Trapeze) that is really what i use.

If i could figure out how to spare the time, i'd love to sit down and write a piece of OS X software ... i have some pretty good ideas floating around in my head.

dave
Old 28th April 2004, 04:36 PM   #5
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
I wonder how hard it would be to port these programs to Mac and Linux platforms? Probably not all that hard. A Mac or Linux version of Audua's SpeakerWorkshop would be nice. The only thing I don't like about SpeakerWorkshop is that it makes you keep all your windows on its little workspace. I have dual monitors and I'd like to be able to drag the frequency response window onto my other monitor and make changes and see them instantly reflected. In fact, how about sliders you can drag to change things like box volume, crossover point, and individual component values? Planet10, if you can write one of these and keep the price reasonable ($20 would be fine) then I think there's lots of people who would snap it right up. I just got done learning to write programs in C for the UNIX command line interface but I don't have the skills yet to write a windows program with a GUI and all that.
Old 28th April 2004, 05:18 PM   #6
fireman is offline fireman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by haenisch
Since I converted to Mac, I looked for a simulation software with the result of using
a PC simulator :-(
If you find something suitable, I would like to join, but .....

Greetings Till

A few weeks back, Karoliina started a thread on exactly that topic. You can find it here and a followup here.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I'm also looking for a sim program that runs on OS X. I've got an old PC laptop that I would like to use only to program my amateur radios. Right now, I use it mainly for simulations as I'm not a big fan of running Virtual PC on my 400 MHz G4.
Old 9th May 2004, 02:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Been trying to get Unibox running on my Mac with OfficeX, but the VB scripts seem to be broken. Shame.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 9th May 2004, 03:26 PM   #8
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Go to www.diysubwoofers.org and roll your own...all the equations that are in most free software are there.

Brian has a simple spreadsheet called ported.xls that would probably run in Excel for apples....if anything would, it should.
Old 9th May 2004, 03:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
Go to www.diysubwoofers.org and roll your own...
Yeh I know, but I'm just lazy!

Quote:
Brian has a simple spreadsheet called ported.xls that would probably run in Excel for apples....if anything would, it should.
Looks good, thanks for the reference Ron. I really should get out to more diy sites really, but this place just seems to take up so much time!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 9th May 2004, 10:16 PM   #10
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Sure, the nice thing about it is that it is unlocked. You can unprotect the sheets without a password and then delete or add stuff as you please.

Brian Steele has a few simple neat Excel tricks in there, too.

Hide this!Advertise here!