John Krutke's Silver Flute project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2004, 01:14 PM   #1
fireman is offline fireman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default John Krutke's Silver Flute project

A while back, I visited John Krutke's web site and fell in love with his Silver Flute project. Since I was looking for an inexpensive 2 way speaker project, I decided to give it a try.

I received the parts a few weeks ago but did not begin building the enclosures until this last week-end as it was too cold in the shed ehhhhhh the workshop I built the X-overs one evening last week and started work on the enclosures satruday morning. I routed all the holes for the drivers, the input cup and the port. I also glued the sides and the tops/bottoms of the enclosures. Yesterday, I had planned on gluing the backs, gluing the foam and attaching the X-overs before gluing the front baffles. But I didn't

I just couldn't wait to hear them so I got a hold of my old trusty masking tape and assembled all the parts together. I then hooked them up to my stereophile Sony receiver and just sat there listening to them for the better part of the evening. Except for John's 3 TB projects, this is my first DIY speaker project. I also haven't had the chance to listen to mega $$$ audiophile speakers so I can't compare them to high end audio products but I can definitely tell that they sound way better then any thing I have heard so far. Now I understand why you don't see many graphic equalizers in higher end audio setups. You just don't need them !

I haven't had time to take pictures yet. I will do so later on today and will post them for you to see. In the mean time, you'll excuse me, I have to go listen to them a little more.
Old 26th April 2004, 02:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can take a look at my project right here.

Your comments are very much appreciated.
Old 26th April 2004, 02:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Great stuff.

I am also considering this as my first project. Can you tell me where you purchased the parts and what the approximate total bill was.

Cheers,
GM.
Old 26th April 2004, 02:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gmilitano
Great stuff.

I am also considering this as my first project. Can you tell me where you purchased the parts and what the approximate total bill was.

Cheers,
GM.
I purchased all the parts from Madisound. It cost me around 130 USD for all the parts except the wood and finish. You need about 1/3 of a 4 X 8 MDF panel. I paid 30 $ CDN for the 4 X 8 which means around 10 $ CDN or 13 USD plus another 15 $ CDN (20 USD) for the flat black paint and the black bed liner.

So for around 160 USD you can get a pretty decent pair of speakers. I can even provide you with the parts list if you want. Just email me privately and I'll send it to you.
Old 26th April 2004, 04:17 PM   #5
Lionel is offline Lionel  France
diyAudio Member

Default Re: John Krutke's Silver Flute project

Quote:
Originally posted by fireman
... I can't compare them to high end audio products but I can definitely tell that they sound way better then any thing I have heard so far. Now I understand why you don't see many graphic equalizers in higher end audio setups. You just don't need them !
There was long threads on Madisound forum concerning Silver Flute speakers.
As long as you don't need high power music, loud heavy-metal experiences

...Silver Flute are very good sounding speakers.
Old 26th April 2004, 06:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim85IROC
It's great to hear that these still sound good. There was some major concern on madisound's forum about the new batch of Silver Flute drivers. Krutke was going to pull this design off his website, but he ordered a new batch of drivers and felt that his current design still worked well enough.

I'm building a home theater system for my cousin soon, and I decided to go with Krutke's Silver-Vifa design, although I do intend to use shielded drivers in the center channel, and I'm also going to use a couple small sealed cabinets for the rear speakers. The variations should give me a good chance to experiment with a few things, while still working well for her home theater.

I've been dieing to use those silver flutes! I just hope somebody tests the 6.5s and 8s soon too. I've heard that their parameters vary considerably from the published specs on Madisound's website, and are capable of much better bass extention than their published specs would indicate.
Old 26th April 2004, 09:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

He did pull the design off, albeit only temporarily.
Old 26th April 2004, 09:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim85IROC
I wasn't aware that he did. When I heard that he planned to yank it, I downloaded the page to my PC.
Old 26th April 2004, 11:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 454Casull
He did pull the design off, albeit only temporarily.
You're right. John did pull this design off the day after I had placed my order with Madisound.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim85IROC
I wasn't aware that he did. When I heard that he planned to yank it, I downloaded the page to my PC.
Fortunately, I had also saved that page on my computer. Nevertheless, I emailed him to inquire about it. He told me that he'd heard about the new batch of drivers and that he wanted to see for himself what the new batch sounded like before deciding what to do next.

He eventualy found out that the changes are minor and don't necessitate any corrections to the X-over. This is really a cool project. It sounds great, there is good bass extention, and it is quite affordable. They are not quite bookshelf size if it's what you're looking for. But I'm willing to trade size for quality anytime. After I have the courage to yank the duct tape off and finish them (it's gonna be hard, I already love them so much ) I'll design speaker stands for them. I'll post pictures of the finish product to show you how it turned out.

Gotta go listen to them some more
Old 27th April 2004, 03:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

John's indicates now on his site that has also verified that you can upgrade the tweeter from the Vifa D27TG15 to the Vifa D25AG-35 aluminum done tweeter as a drop in replacement. This adds about $10.00 a tweeter and uses the same crossover as before.

I will be building another pair of the slant front cabinets and am thinking I will probably try the upgraded tweeter for it's wider dispersion. I am very happy with the first pair though.

Hide this!Advertise here!