SILK 4" out to 20k

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My new design coming up.
A Tline using a 4" Vifa available in a ported design as well.
Pics from the Seattle DIY.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Measurments done against a Jordan X92 .
Both I built.The Jordans in a ported cabinet with Cherry veneer.
Silk used 1.125" thick solid Maghogany.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What you all think.

Al

Hi Raw,

The Vifa has just over 1 mm xmax. I wonder what the full travel is like (?) - have you bottomed them out? I've thought about doing this very thing in the past (very attractive driver), but was concerned about driving them too hard. For say HT applications or general audio, versus say a PC application.

I've always thought that the anomaly in the response on Vifa's site at about 1.7 k was some sort of artifact of how they measured the driver. You often see it in other drivers. Your measurements show this to be the case.

How do you like the sound? The Jordan's a great driver. I think your Silk a cool idea. This driver in a TL could always be supplemented with a larger woofer. I'm sure that since this driver looks very easy going, this would be a chinch. Heck, you could probably put Silk on another woofer TL for the bottom end and cross around 300 to 500 or so...

How would you rate this driver against 3" and 4" Tang Bands for value?

Nice work!

Brendon

Brendon
I have measured all the TB drivers to date and even have a few new ones to test in the next week .
Against the TB the only one I would compair it to is of coarse the W3-871S.
This Vifa with a poper filter on it controls the responce you see off the Vifa chart.
Smoother sound,clear,clean detailed.
This driver I first built in a small ported cabinet and had them at my last DIY in Nov .Well Mr Fullrange (Dave Dlugos) had never heard of them before at all.
He listened to them and once I turned around he had a screw driver in hand and had the driver in his hand writing down the driver number as well his friend that came over bought them to take back over to Victoria to do more with them. Like a TLINE:D

In general they have been played for about 4 hrs total ao far and very very surprized of the large sound coming out of this box.
The ported is very similar just not the depth.Of coarse you will get lower extention out of the Tline.

If driven hard with the tuniung in the Tline yes they bottom out.
But I mean hard.In the ported cabinet more forgiving as you tune them a lot easyer and I had the ported design done around 70hz with a HT you tuned them higher and use a similar filter.

Al,

It is hard to tell about your graphs as the scale is very compressed. It would be great if you could change the vertical spacing of the graphs so that you would have a better chance of discerning the differences.

It appears that the Silk trends downward between 15 and 20 kHz by at least 5 dB from its midband level. The Jordan hangs in across the band but with higher perturbations in the treble area than the Silk. Conversely, the Silk is rougher in the lower mids than the Jordan. Can you hear any of these differences when you listen to them?

Jim

Jim
I have only had them side by side for a few minutes as the Jordans went to Tim in Seattle after the meet for him to enjoy.
But in general even Bob was just stunned.The 4" was listened to against the Jordans at the DIY meet and a lot like the 4" over the Jordan for smoothness and detail but the low end went to the Jordan.
As well the Jordan, when Bob first listened to them here against the 4" Bob said the Jordan takes time to get more out of them.

Scaling yes I know .I just shoot all measurments on MLSSA and never mind playing with scaling as I only use it every other week and the settings have to be reset before each use.

All I am concerened with is the responce.
Just not enough time to get the SPL set up using MLSSA as well.
Between making cabinet and assembling cabinet I have no time at all.
Even yours I had hoped to get them out the door last week but the DIY meet I just had to many to do.
The new 4" from Bob I had to build a MTM with the new ribbon as well as veneer up those, the Jordan cabinets build and veneer them and last the Silks.Built them from scratch. out of 5" X20' blanks.

Then on to more HE 10 and HE 8 cabinets, sub cabinets.
Then Bob and Danny have ordered in a PILE of cabinets for Criterion and Diluceo's and I have to assemble 20 sets of crossovers,cut BH5 and fully assemble 20 set total.
I think I have a few days work:D
Still have time to set up MLSSA:bawling:

Al

Any relation?

German loudspeaker DIY magazine Hobby Hifi 4/2001.

Regards,
Pekka U.

Attachments

• hh4-2001-mi.jpg
    hh4-2001-mi.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 386
Both.
To the underside of the driver?
And a modified filter.

The finished modle took some time to get the coatings correct.
But I am very happy with the results.

Daves ported ones he picked up from my DIY were untreated.
I have been playing around with driver coating for a few years now.I did the first round of tests with kids at my school and we built 1.5 using the NSB drivers from PE.
Darren was kind enough to supply a case of 32 so I really go a idea of what product to use and were.
I could have used another case as they were such a hit with the kids.
Staff were all floored at the out put of them in a 1/2" MDF cabinet.
Cheap as possible.

Hobby HiFi

Guessing at internal dimensions, the 70 cm Hobby HiFi design looks very close to the dimensions that you would get if you plugged the Vifa driver into MJK's Classic TL tables with an Sl/So of .1

My results are attached.

I like the folding.

Attachments

• mg10md09.jpg
    mg10md09.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 177
Sort of interesting that this thread faded away without comment. This driver seems to have some unique characteristics that are probably of greater interst to hobbiest than marketers.

My own jerk reflex would probably be to lean toward Fostex offerings but it is hard to believe that no one out sawdust and solder land has tried to get the best out of this driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.