Very high quality crossover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2004, 11:32 PM   #1
Bull is offline Bull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Very high quality crossover

Got these on e-bay and they were from a Behringer Pa speakers,wonder what there wattage they can handle though,cos I might make a pair of pa speakers using these crossovers.They also feature special protection for HF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crossover.jpg (13.4 KB, 647 views)
Old 24th April 2004, 12:35 AM   #2
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

The only drivers that is likely to work for are the drivers it was designed for. Crossovers are engineered things, not some kind of magic.

It is definitely a mid-fi crossover, note the Mylar capacitors and Iron core inductors of what appears to be fairly small-gauge wire. Those components total perhaps $20, so if you paid less, you got a fair deal. Your "tweeter protection" appears to be a light bulb
Old 24th April 2004, 02:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've seen the light bulb trick on car mid fi that is used to play obsenely loud. the lightbulb is sometimes placed in a place you can see it light up. Cooool....Not
Old 24th April 2004, 09:44 AM   #4
Svante is offline Svante  Sweden
diyAudio Member

As you say, Ron E, good crossover design is engineering, ie it is specific for a given driver configuration. Now thin wire in coils is not nessecarily bad. It might be that a particular driver combination or driver-box combination calls for a series resistance. In that case it would be plain stupid to have a thick wire coil and a resistor in series with it. Right?

The iron core makes me suspicious of the quality, though.
Old 24th April 2004, 10:27 AM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Very high quality crossover

Quote:
Originally posted by Bull
Got these on e-bay and they were from a Behringer Pa speakers,wonder what there wattage they can handle though,cos I might make a pair of pa speakers using these crossovers.They also feature special protection for HF
They look reasonable enough for a PA crossover.

You need to identify the c/o frequency and the type of units
its intended for. My guess is a 12" or 15" with a tweeter, the
type of tweeter suitable depends on the c/o frequency.

The resistor may need adjusting or an L-pad needed for
adjustment of the twweter level, you must do this.

There's nothing wrong with the protection circuit in a PA speaker.

Your biggest problem is acscertaining if its suitable for a Piezo
type tweeter or the better quality magnetic type tweeters.

If its from a Eurolive cabinet power handling is 150W.

Get the right sort of tweeter !

sreten.
Old 24th April 2004, 10:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Svante
The iron core makes me suspicious of the quality, though.
The brand name makes me suspicious of the quality........
Old 24th April 2004, 01:03 PM   #7
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
I think that Behringer sells pretty cool equipment for its price

If you like, you may pay 10 times the money for better products, but these won't be 10 times better

About the crossover, it would be almost useless for drivers other than it was designed for. Each driver has an unique impedance curve so if you want to modify it for other drivers you will need to start changing component values...
Old 24th April 2004, 01:12 PM   #8
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Come on people get real.

Its no different to most off the shelf PA crossovers.

If the speaker it came from can be identified and
similar well chosen drivers used results will be fine.

sreten.
Old 24th April 2004, 02:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

If these are fromthe Euroline range, they had a 2" comp and a 15 if I remember correctly. As for comments about the components etc, they are no better or worse than some much more expensive boxes I have seen. In fact, I can't think of the last pro box I saw that had air core inductors. They are too big, too heavy, and too expensive for PA type systems...

Bull, did you decide if you wanted to get rid of those two ATC drivers, as I am still be interested if you do?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 24th April 2004, 03:01 PM   #10
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, now that you've got it, you'll be wanting to use it. Try tracing out the circuit and post the results in a diagram. Do you know what drivers were used in the original? Do you have drivers in mind?

I would suggest you get Speaker Workshop working and measure whatever drivers you come across. Parts Express has measurements of many of their drivers, I'm not sure if they have measurements of the PA drivers they sell, but if they do, you can import the measurements into Speaker Workshop. You can then simulate how it would work as it is, and what you might be able to do to make it better. You might make those crossovers work for a wide variety of drivers by paralleling, removing or adding components. The nice thing about the circuit board is you don't have to lay it out yourself....

If you got the impression that there is something wrong with the components, I am sorry. I was just trying to inform you of what you had. Rereading it, it seems a bit too sarcastic.... Those components are what you would find in fairly decent factory-built speakers. I have some old Cerwin-Vegas that used crossovers fairly similar to yours (although the inductors are lower quality than your Behringer) and their MSRP was ~$700.

Hide this!Advertise here!