Visaton B200 questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From what I can gather Bob's going to bail on the Visaton OB build. Dave's got a nice setup going but after (an attempt at) reading the recommended build on the Visaton site I'm having trouble visualizing the baffle using the B200 and the BSG40. Can someone help my feeble mind?

Usually the newest Visaton designs are published in the Visaton-forum.
I think it still isn´t because exactly that design with the B200 and BS40 was published in the "Klang+Ton"-magazine.
You can have a look here in the forum but you will only see the xover.
I can drop you a note when it´s published as I was also looking into the design. If it´s urgent drop me mail.;)

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 999
How are the highs?
I haven´t build it but the fr shows quite a few resonances and a SPL-loss from 15k on.
Have a look at the B200 on it´s own in the SOLO100 .
Basically only the low frquency part in the fr of the B200/BGS40-combination looks different.
Strange that the Solo100 appears to play even deeper.
Here´s another combo with the B200.

BTW: I decided for a Gradient W160AL8 also a fullrange driver but at a fifth of the price. It shows similar fr, can go as deep but the resonances are bit heavier. Will see/hear on the weekend.

@ joensd

I decided for a Gradient W160AL8 also a fullrange driver but at a fifth of the price. It shows similar fr, can go as deep but the resonances are bit heavier. Will see/hear on the weekend.
You´re not putting it on an OB, aren´t you? Otherwise I would be strongly interested in your results.

BTW: I have been too busy @work to answer your last email properly. Still interested in the 1"-dia aluminium tube?

the fr shows quite a few resonances and a SPL-loss from 15k on

A fascinating aspect of psycho-acoustics is that while it's possible to build a driver with completely flat response most are not done that way as they are considered "uninteresting". The real challenge is to make a driver that distorts at the right time at the right frequency.

A fascinating aspect of psycho-acoustics is that while it's possible to build a driver with completely flat response most are not done that way as they are considered "uninteresting". The real challenge is to make a driver that distorts at the right time at the right frequency.

Hi there!

This sounds more like superstition than science. Can you clarify what do you think is the desired resonance performance of a driver at high freqs? I believe all kind of stored energy in a driver, i.e. a resonance, which causes ringing in time domain can not be good.

- Elias

That was probably a poor choice of words. I was making reference to speaker designs not being made with flat FR even though they could be, not trying to justify distortion. I have however read discussions about controlled cone break-up at high frequencies being a design goal.

I have however read discussions about controlled cone break-up at high frequencies being a design goal.

If you define breakup as resonant hash on the FR plot, I don't believe it is ever a design goal...

I think some people say "breakup" when they mean something more like "controlled circumference decoupling" -- a definite full-range design goal which simply means reducing effective piston area with rising frequency to maintain a flat FR and reduce lobing.

Circumference decoupling happens in all full-range cone drivers to some degree. The ones whose cones control bending wave velocity and have proper damping do it smoothly, without resonant artifacts. The others "break up." :)

I'm no driver expert but the way it was explained to me is that
it's impossible to get a cone that's rigid enough and light enough to cover the whole frequency spectrum without break-up. As the frequency increases the dispersion becomes narrower. With smaller drive units the dispersion at 15kHz would be narrow enough that in normal listening you'd probably miss the high frequencies altogether. Cone breakup tends to mitigate this effect. I did take a look at the new Manger drivers which appears to be a good solution to this problem. Fascinating stuff!

I hope this translation is better than babelfish :)

The SOLO 20 should be placed in a bookshelf and has an inner volume of 20 l. f3 is 80 Hz, making a subwoofer necessary. Dimensions of the enclosure go without saying if you try to put the B200 into a 20l box. A sealed volume has proved to be favorable. Because of the high Qtc in the small volume there will be a notch at 100Hz. This is compensates by 470µF in series. To make this HP workable, an impedance peak at 90 Hz is compensated by a 22 mH coil in series with a 150 µF capazitor. Together with the acoustic roll-off we get a summed roll-off with 18 dB/oct. The 22 mH coil has to have a resistance of 5,5-6 Ohm. If necessary add the appropriate value with a resistor.

Stuffing is, as with all sealed boxes, not critical. Use 2 bags of damping wool per box.

As with all SOLOS, the frequency responce above 500 Hz has to be compensated. The SOLO 20 doesn´t need much correction there because the high f3 allows for an efficiency of 90 dB/2,83 V/m.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.