Real time spectrum analyzer for PC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Efficient Free realtime analyzer: Baudline for Linux

http://www.baudline.com/

full_screen.png

- Ask

SIA's SmaartLive is a great program that includes many tools for testing both speakers and speaker systems. Its transfer functions give you more information than an RTF by actually displaying the differences on a graph. Its a great program. Pricey though ~$600.

Milo

askbojesen said:
Efficient Free realtime analyzer: Baudline for Linux
http://www.baudline.com/
I just discovered this tonight and was about to post something about it and then I though I better see if anyone else has mentioned it first. :D

Anyway, their description:-
Baudline is a real-time signal analysis tool and an offline time-frequency browser. It has a built in tone generation capability and it can play back audio files with a multitude of effects and filters. Designed for environmental analysis missions that range from modulation parameter measurements to searching for transient signals that go bump in the night, baudline combines fast digital signal processing, versatile high speed displays, and continuous capture tools for hunting down and studying elusive signal characteristics.
Capture, analyze, measure, play.

My description:- :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :smash: :smash: :smash: ^100.
Unbelievable...

A good, fast Linux distro to go with it, that I am using (right now even) Yoper Linux Don't let the nutty name fool you; this is a clean, fast 100% 686 compiled distro, i.e.it only works on Pentium II upwards.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I use the True-audio RTA for continuous measurements (sine/pink/white signals) and 'Sample champion' for MLSSA measurements.

True-RTA is very easy to use, while sample champion requires more learning, but the combination of the two gives a lot of measurement capability for a relatively low cost.

Does Baudline do log-frequency axis display yet? Last time I looked it didn't, which is a bit of a killer for typical audio work. It makes it virtually impossible to get a single-screen view of what you want to see. Amazing program in other respects, though.

There is a world of difference in the performance of professional analyzers and the one person designs available at low cost.

The low cost units utilize your computer sound card and suffer from timing instabilities. If you are doing gated responses (MLS and impulse) it is hard to get repeatable results (or even meaningful results) from the low cost analyzers. Many of them are OS dependent and have not kept up with OS updates.

The best analyzer system is also very expensive. It is http://www.sysid-labs.com/ system.

Clio will also work.

If you know what you are doing and know how to calibrate it, if you have a system you can calibrate it with, and if you know when the thing is giving you garbage, then even Speaker Workshop will work.

If you can afford, I suggest buying a complete system. That includes microphone and microphone preamp.

Regardless of what you decide on, the best of luck to you,

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.