question about building crossover with baffle step - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2004, 03:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim85IROC
Default question about building crossover with baffle step

There's one thing that's kept me pretty confused about baffle step compensation.

I'm familiar with the baffle step circuit that parallels a resistor with an inductor in series with the woofer, but with most crossover designs I've seen, there aren't separate components specifically for baffle step compensation. Typically, the values of the crossover are just adjusted for the compensation. How do you adjust the calculated values to include bsc? Can you design with the bsc components included and calculate a thevinen equivalent?
Old 21st April 2004, 04:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It very much depends on the design, sometimes you can alter the xvoer to include bafflestep by increasing the value of the inductor in the woofer xover. I think this can be more done accurately if its a third order network, alting the first inductor size.

In a three way design it can be arranged so that no baffle step circuit is required at all on the mid simply by altering the highpass network on the mid to havea higher Q, giving a bit of boost at the crossover frequency.

Some designs I can see wont include any which is not a good idea. Also there are no design formulas I dont think to compensate for this, you will need software to simulate the effect.

Attached pic shows BSC without a BS filter on a mid. The first is what the frequency response is like, as you can see perfectly flat with perfect baffle step. I then apply a perfect 4th order linwitz riley to this, if the baffle step was not there then a perfect slope would be had. But as you can see in the second pic is clearly is not. Then you adjust the filter a bit and end up with a perfect match. The blue trace shows the filters gain indicating a higher Q then a stock linkwitz.
Attached Images
File Type: gif bsq.gif (23.2 KB, 109 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!