Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Subwoofer driver  from around 20Hz to 200Hz (single 12inch or dual 10inch per ch)
Subwoofer driver  from around 20Hz to 200Hz (single 12inch or dual 10inch per ch)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2018, 09:53 PM   #1
analyze_it is offline analyze_it  France
diyAudio Member

Arrow Subwoofer driver from around 20Hz to 200Hz (single 12inch or dual 10inch per ch)

I am planning to build a large reference 5 way speaker and would like to read your recommendations based on your experience.

This large speaker should be able to accurately reproduce church organ from 20 or 25hz. The subwoofer unit's crossover frequency will be around 200-250Hz.

The enclosure size should ideally be around 100-120 litres, bass reflex (for increased efficiency - around 90-92db).

I am thinking to use double Seas L26 10inch drivers per channel, because of the very stiff cone (low distortion).

Aesthetics is another point of consideration for my project. I would prefer to use shallow drivers like dayton LS10 or LS12 or carbon-fibre and avoid black plastic-looking cones.

If extended, accurate, low distortion 20-25Hz bass is not realistically possible with dual 10inch or single 12inch driver, i could modify the design and use a single 15inch unit.

Looking forward for your recommendations. (Please include Box volume and bass reflex tuning frequency in your answers!)

Many thanks!

ps. My 5 way speaker project is based on sound quality and will be used for reproduction of music (clasical/jazz etc), not for home theater.

Last edited by analyze_it; 20th August 2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:45 AM   #2
academia50 is online now academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

It's too complex what you propose

Beyond three routes, the problems that arise are very difficult, both for the choice of drivers and for the development of the xover.

And the range of sub frequencies should be covered by a dedicated cabinet, speaker and respective amplification.

I think you are asking for an acoustic cabinet "all in one", it is not imposibloe, but too complicated and it will end up being more expensive.

Choose traditional methods, 2 three-way cabinets and subwofers (one or two, there is another problem here)
Old Yesterday, 12:53 AM   #3
koutrou is offline koutrou  Greece
diyAudio Member

The strongest profesional 12 inch driver is Beyma 12SW1300Nd
Old Yesterday, 01:49 AM   #4
croweproductions is offline croweproductions  Canada
diyAudio Member

Subs or woofs that cleanly do 20hz donít do 200hz very well and vice versa from my experience. For classical and jazz Iíd be looking at a good 3 way setup, combined with a really fast sub with DSP integration.
Old Yesterday, 02:58 AM   #5
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_it View Post
I am planning to build a large reference 5 way speaker and would like to read your recommendations based on your experience. This large speaker should be able to accurately reproduce church organ from 20 or 25hz. The subwoofer unit's crossover frequency will be around 200-250Hz.
The 12" $156US Dayton RSS315HFA-8 subwoofer will produce deep bass in a modest volume ported cabinet, BUT with a low'ish 86db efficiency.

The 18" $215US Peavey LoRider 18 woofer will produce deep MUSICAL bass in a LARGE 8cuft volume with 96db efficiency.
===================
Have you considered a tribute DIY horn design to France's Jean Michel LeCleac'h? The 2" coaxial BMS 4592Nd is under $500US in German shops, and the polar pattern of the JMLC-300 horn will reduce floor & ceiling reflections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LeCleac'h.jpg (87.0 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg JMLC 300.jpg (80.9 KB, 133 views)
Old Yesterday, 03:13 AM   #6
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

why not dual 12"? that is my choice for 4way active, the driver is kappa 12.1 and box volume around 130ltr which is sealed.

(Low bass extension - Efficiency - Size) are the 3 factors that you have to choose, you can't get 3 of them in 1 shot.
Old Yesterday, 03:41 AM   #7
olsond3 is offline olsond3  United States
diyAudio Member

SB Acoustics SB34SWPL-76-4 12" Subwoofer is hard to beat for the $$. Long throw. Also look at ScanSpeak Discovery 30W/4558T 12" Subwoofer
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Would like to thank each one of you for your replies!

Last edited by analyze_it; Yesterday at 11:15 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by academia50 View Post
It's too complex what you propose

Beyond three routes, the problems that arise are very difficult, both for the choice of drivers and for the development of the xover.

And the range of sub frequencies should be covered by a dedicated cabinet, speaker and respective amplification.

I think you are asking for an acoustic cabinet "all in one", it is not imposibloe, but too complicated and it will end up being more expensive.

Choose traditional methods, 2 three-way cabinets and subwofers (one or two, there is another problem here)

What would you choose for a massive speaker where money is not an issue?
(Crossover development is not a problem and i would choose different crossover points if needed - for example 80-120Hz instead of 200-250Hz)
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
The 12" $156US Dayton RSS315HFA-8 subwoofer will produce deep bass in a modest volume ported cabinet, BUT with a low'ish 86db efficiency.

The 18" $215US Peavey LoRider 18 woofer will produce deep MUSICAL bass in a LARGE 8cuft volume with 96db efficiency.
===================
Have you considered a tribute DIY horn design to France's Jean Michel LeCleac'h? The 2" coaxial BMS 4592Nd is under $500US in German shops, and the polar pattern of the JMLC-300 horn will reduce floor & ceiling reflections.

Many thanks Linesource!

Subwoofer driver  from around 20Hz to 200Hz (single 12inch or dual 10inch per ch)Hide this!Advertise here!