Distance to Grill using a Peerless 12" XLS (830500)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Subject: Mounting a 12" XLS with 10 mm foam grill. Look at the schematic drawing below!

GD = grill-distance

Proplem:
  • The driver can touch the grill if GD is to small.
  • For my design I would like to minimize GD

The linear xmax for the driver is 12 mm, but that is the excursion of the cone - not the rubber front of the driver, which I find not move as much as the cone.
I have tried to estimate the nessesery GD by playing 25 Hz in free air very loud - and I found that GD = 13 mm should be more than enough - can this be true?
Does anyone have experiences by the minimum of distance to the grill on an 12" XLS?

Regards,

Ask

Attachments

• 830500-schematic1.png
    830500-schematic1.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 268
I don't think you will get a definitive answer on this one (but maybe you will), so just experiment by running her at max and putting some cloth or the foam in front and slowly bring it closer to the sub until it just touches - then measure that distance.

Any particular reason you're using form and not the usual thin net type grill material? If I wanted the grill to be as close to the enclosure as possible then I would use thin material and inset the drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.