Rogers Studio 1 crossover caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Just need some advise on what brand and type of caps to replace the original Rita caps on my Rogers Studio 1's?

Attachments

• IMAG0741.jpg
    IMAG0741.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 328
No real reason to replace what look like metal foil Rita MKT capacitors. They really shouldn't deteriorate. Use equivalent new MKP polypropylene if you want. 250V types might be a tidge better, but I doubt you'll hear it.

New NP aka bi-polar electrolytics could be a good thing, since they do age. Like with like. 50 or 70V would do. Remember non-polars are not to be confused with polar types, but a loudspeaker component supplier would have NPs.

That 6.8 uF bi-polar is small enough you could replace it with a polypropylene type and not worry about aging. For example, Parts Express has these 6.8 uF options:

- NPE (aka Bi-Polar): $0.59
- Poly & Others: $2.75 (Dayton house brand) to $43 (Jantzen Z-Silver).

You can get a million different opinions on the sound differences between different capacitor brands so I won't go there. Your decision

I was hoping to avoid the whole exotic capacitor debate. But I do think the very cheapest MKPs have their limitations. I suspect the metallised foils are very thin, because I do hear a lack of top end sparkle with them.

Satisfactory all-rounders are things like Solen 400V, which claim low inductance and are not hugely expensive or big. It's what Wilmslow Audio use in their kits.

Of course, they get bigger with higher voltage ratings. I have a lot of no-name 630V MKP, which work really well, but they can be huge.

Thanks guys.

I might just check to see if those Rita caps have gone out of spec first before ordering replacements. I will replace the 6.8uF electrolytic with a new type. What are your thoughts about changing from a Electrolytic to a polypropylene?

Hear is a picture of them under test in my garage.

Attachments

• IMAG0754.jpg
    IMAG0754.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 190
Very nice.

The two great links for this sort of thing are:
Hi-Fi › Rogers Loudspeakers
Spendor BC1

You can drown in the complexity of the 8 and 15 ohm HF1300, Coles 4001 versions, KEF T27 and Celestion HF2000 tweeters,

Crossovers were often unusual by modern standards with BW3 third order tweeters, impedance correction on the bass too.

Harbeth and a few others still make monitors like this. Whether you get away with substitutions might depend where the capacitor is in the circuit.

But nothing will break with MKP in place of NP. Just might be brighter or peakier by a dB or two at certain frequencies, particularly on axis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.