Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The POOR man's Tannoy DMT - AKA "The PM-DMT"
The POOR man's Tannoy DMT - AKA "The PM-DMT"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #51
wae is offline wae  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz View Post
I say: go for it.
Make the first with cheap MDF and few screws to test damping. I'd go from no damping to full damping and backwards. With such a simple box (I expected more convolutions and lenght ) it shall be easy.

My own first attempt (no software used ) was transforming some cheap Aywa little surround speakers (3,5" woofer) into test speakers with an 83 X 40cm PCM-like box. The total length of TL is around 2,8m. Obviously, they are not perfect, but they serve its purpose and produce some articulate bass.

Have fun,
M.
I will, in the end. Only issue is Time, money, girlfriend (in random order, that is...) Ooh ya, and a studio to test them in (also on the list for this year, the shed is waiting).

kind regards.
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM   #52
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Unless you are wedded to the transmission line idea you could consider the 150 BMS 12S330.

Works in surprisingly small BR* cabs and a small cab = a light (and possibly cheaper) cab. Never simmed it in a T/L but I doubt it would be ideal. Functional may be...

* 60L for -3dB at 32Hz
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #53
wae is offline wae  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hey Charles,

Yes I did see it in a previous post, very good candidate for a BR version.

Thanks for the tip.

You mentioned not to opt for the Volt anymore "if you would build one again". Any specific reason?

kind regards.
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #54
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yea, I can get three BMS 12S330 for less than the price of one Volt RV3143.

Also they go just as low as the Volt in half the volume and two BMS will go louder cleaner than one Volt.

Last edited by Charles Darwin; Yesterday at 09:01 PM.

The POOR man's Tannoy DMT - AKA "The PM-DMT"Hide this!Advertise here!