Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Midrange Advice
Midrange Advice
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2018, 10:26 PM   #11
jtgofish is offline jtgofish
diyAudio Member

Dome midranges can sound great but very often fail to reproduce much image depth and centre fill.Good at spreading images left and right but not so good at focusing them..
A wave guide as used by ATC and Volt seems to help .
Old 9th August 2018, 10:30 PM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Prosound 'speak': Directivity Index: Directivity Index - Google Search

IOW have you drawn up a floor plan/cross section to scale to find the coverage width/height angles that covers the listening positions [LP] while preferably keeping first reflections behind their ears or at least show where damping is requird?

GM
Old 10th August 2018, 01:57 AM   #13
Michael Chua is offline Michael Chua  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfoxhyperion View Post
....The limiting factor I think will be that I'm looking at a 4+ cuft tower for the woofers that I don't want to be much wider than the woofers themselves, so mid and tweeter placement would likely end up too high on top of them.
You can mount the RS52AN and the tweeter onto the front panel like what I did with the Scanspeak D7608 Dome Mid.
Old 10th August 2018, 02:00 AM   #14
TMM is offline TMM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to TMM
I think 800Hz will be stretching the DA270 (edit: DS270, similar driver) too much. It has a simple motor and the somewhat low breakup of a 10" cone will make the midrange distortion less than ideal to cross at 800Hz. Try to aim around 300-500Hz XO. An RS100 (or two!) should fit nicely between a 10" and a ribbon.

Last edited by TMM; 10th August 2018 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10th August 2018, 02:42 AM   #15
outfoxhyperion is offline outfoxhyperion
diyAudio Member

GM, I don’t really have the luxury of setting exact parameters for directivity, unfortunately. I don’t own a house and end up moving fairly frequently, so I have general rather than specific goals. In any case, I don’t consider myself an audiophile, but more of a “hifi enthusiast” so I’ll most likely be satisfied with “pretty good.”

TMM, you’re right about the distortion. Unfortunately, PE doesn’t include distortion measurements in their data files, so we have to kinda guess. I went and checked, and the 5” version of that driver is actually the one in my basket. The 4” didn’t quite meet my power handling or sensitivity goals. However, the 4” is available as an 8 ohm with truncated frame, so maybe 2 in parallel... we’re getting out of the goal midrange budget there, though. And then there’s the consideration of having a point source for speech or multiple sources, even if they are close.
Old 10th August 2018, 08:30 AM   #16
grec13 is offline grec13  United States
diyAudio Member

It's depends what kind of system you want to build.
After 18 years of experiments I got to conclusion: There is no life below 100db. IMHO.
Old 10th August 2018, 04:07 PM   #17
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfoxhyperion View Post
GM, I don’t really have the luxury of setting exact parameters for directivity, unfortunately.
OK, since listening/viewing [Lp] distance is normally governed by [TV] screen width or off axis viewing angle since many TVs are somewhat limited in this respect, ergo shouldn't change from room to room, so either use this or I guess fall back on the traditional 60/90 x 40 deg. for longer/shorter [Lp] and adjust toe-in, seating to suit.

GM

Midrange AdviceHide this!Advertise here!