Various loudspeaker design suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
[Moderator Note] No project may use the name of "diyAudio" without the express written consent of the site's owner. The following texts have been edited to reflect that fact.

There was a comment in the diyaudio.com speaker another thread for a sticky for various speaker designs covering several categories. I thought it was a good idea to help builders find a suitable project without having to navigate a multitude of threads and posts. If the moderators think this is a waste, then please delete this thread.

All I propose is a category in the title and a pdf or link to the design and maybe a simple comment. If the design is not thought to be deserving, then the moderators can delete it. A pdf or a diyaudio.com link is preferred as external links can be broken and we end up with limited details.

I thought it would be a good idea to keep the chat to a minimum so the bulk of the thread is the various designs so navigating is quick.

Low cost small 4" 2-way SB Acoustics (Soprano by Jeff Bagby)

To kick off this thread I'm suggesting a small 2-way vented design by Jeff Bagby. Works well in small to medium rooms and great for HT use with a subwoofer. A great speaker for an introduction into the hobby with a good bang for buck as well as plenty of uses.

This is 1 of 2 loudspeakers that I've built from another designer (as a sanity check) and it's a keeper. My enclosure is slightly different and the crossover had a small change with the 15uF cap changed to 6.8uF to make the mids a bit more forward to suit my equipment, room and tastes.

Tweeter SB26STCN-C000-4
Midwoofer SB12NRX25-4
4.7 litres vented
F3=59Hz, F6=53Hz, D35x104 port
4 ohm speaker
Crossover 2 caps, 2 inductors, 2 resistors

Attachments

• Soprano_SBA.jpg
    Soprano_SBA.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 913
  • Sopranos-Write-up-A.pdf
    749 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Modestly priced FR speaker

Probaby one of the most popular diy FR builds over the last half decade is the Frugel-Horn Mk3. Now expanded into a family these are chameleons, as their sound can be changed by just using a different FR driver. A wide range of 3” to 6.5” drivers are supported.

I’ll supply a 1st link*:
The Frugel-Horn Family

FH-family-photos.jpg

Most popular are Fostex FF85wk, Mark Audio Alpair 5.2 (FH-Lite), FE126En, Alpair 7.3, Pluvia 7 (FH3) and Alpair 10.3/10p, FF165wk (FHXL).

*(A search on the term “Frugal-Horn” in the forum search turns up 97 threads with this in the title including build guides with pictures, and there are more threads with different spelling, “FrugelHorn”, “Frugal-Horn”, “FrugalHorn”, “Frugals”.)

dave

Bit of chat from me, then back on-topic as rabbitz suggested he wanted.

The Sopranos is an excellent little design, IMO.

Two flattish drivers and low inductance on the bass making filtering easy.

4” SB12NRX25-4 :: SB Acoustics
SB26STCN-C000-4 :: SB Acoustics

I include the simple Jeff Bagby Sopranos crossover, first below.

Fullrangers a la planet10, well, I want to hear them. A lot to like, especially the use of cones into high frequencies. I quite like the idea of a dome supertweeter with small fullrangers, but that is for the future. Say, above 7kHz where dispersion starts to take a beating.

Back on-topic. The design I am most enthusiastic about currently is by our own Michael Chua, he calls it the Starling:
Seas ER18RNX with 27TDFC

Mostly people notch that SEAS midbass around 4kHz. Michael does something entirely novel. A passive RL bafflestep and impedance correction along with a textbook filter. You've got to model it to see what is great about the impedance and driver control. And, TBH, I might do an entirely different tweeter section, even a different tweeter.

But I've tried this bass circuit, second and third below, and it really does have "buttery smoothness"! :cool:

Attachments

• Jeff_Bagby_Sopranos.JPG
    Jeff_Bagby_Sopranos.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 943
  • Michael Chua Starling.PNG
    Michael Chua Starling.PNG
    17.2 KB · Views: 885
  • Starling Michael Chua.JPG
    Starling Michael Chua.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 862
Last edited:
3-Way Classic (SEAS) by Troelsgravesen

There are a lot of older members who will remember 3-Way bookshelf speakers from the 1970s such as the JBL L100 and Yamaha NS-1000M.

This 3-Way Classic captures the essence of this era and has had plenty of favourable mentions in this forum so deserves a place here.

Tweeter SEAS 27TFFC
Mid SEAS MCA12RC
Woofer SEAS CA22RNX

37 litres with F3=43Hz
90dB SPL 2.8V

Since there is no pdf, a link is provided and hope it stays alive for years to come.
SEAS-3-Way-Classic

The designer makes a note about not using a stand with a front panel which also indicates it's not designed for a floorstander.

There are later versions but these do not show crossover values but can be bought as a kit.

Attachments

• 3WClassic_RK.jpg
    3WClassic_RK.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: 1 user
Elsinore MTMMM large floorstander by Joe Rasmussen

This speaker has had a large following since it's inception in 2007 and at this date up to Mk6. A very clever design and may be the only speaker you will ever need if you desire a large presentation with an easy to drive load at 8 ohm.

It's a very large speaker at 1150mm high x 280mm wide x 380mm deep and is an expensive build.

Link to the design pages:
Elsinore Speakers DIY

Link to the diyAudio thread (long):
The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Tweeter Scan Speak D2608-913000
Midwoofers SB17NRXC35-8

In room response 25Hz-20kHz
2PI frequency response 50Hz-20kHz ±2dB
SPL 90dB+

Attachments

• Elsinore_JR.jpg
    Elsinore_JR.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 168
I'm hoping others will come in and add loudspeaker designs so we get an good example of different categories such as: OB, Horn, Studio Monitor, Computer Speaker, Subwoofer, High End 2-Way and 3-Way, Budget Speaker etc. If adding a link from diyAudio or elsewhere, where possible, please link to the final design to save builders time and ensure they have the correct details.

I'm adding some links to some good sites with respected designs to help new builders.

Troelsgravesen
DIY-Loudspeakers

Zaph Audio
Zaph|Audio

Frugal-Phile (planet10)
Frugal-phile DIY Audio Community Site

Humble Homemade HiFi (Tony Gee)
Humble Homemade Hifi - Archive

There was a post in another thread which pointed to some suitable projects at diyAudio.
diyaudio.com speakers ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Pensil is a simple rectangular ML-TL designed for one of the Mark Audio drivers — there are a range of sizes.

If one searches on “Pensil” in the forum search over 100 threads come up covering all sorts of questions and build threads.

There doesn’t seem to be a main Pnsil thread so i will link to the Gallery thread:

Pensil Pics, lets show 'em!

167479d1271547847-pencil-7-alpair-7-pencil7_1.jpg

While the Pensils are for Mark Audio, there are some L’Stylo using the same alignment for Fostex FF105/125wk.

dave

There is an alternative, a sealed design by Zaph called SB 12.3 that you may find on his website or as a kit at Madisound. This is a Qts =0.32 driver in a sealed enclosure with a low Fs to start with and in itself ideally suited to your taste.

I think you really need a driver with a Qts of of around 0.5 or higher for it to sound good in a sealed box.Yes you can use a driver with a lower Qts if it has a very low Fs like the SB Woofer in that design but I bet it sounds too lean and dry.Same goes for the SB 29NRX75-06 which I have tried in a sealed box and should work OK in theory [as recommended for the Kairos 3 Way] but does not sound good like that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.