I've build my own loudspeaker driver, now I'd like to get more info on this...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

loooong time lurker, not so much of a poster, but here it goes…

for the last 2 decades or so I've been building my own cabinets. Always with carefully selected drivers from a couple of vendors during the years.

But never created my own drivers, 'cause I'd Always thought this is way to complicated…
But as I looked at a similar example on a video a couple of weeks ago (it was about a diy coil) I started thinking...

And on a 'good' saturday night (the wife's out with friends, the kids are in bed, dishes are done) I had some spare time on my hands, and tried to see if I could actually wind a coil that I could use in a speaker...

so I ended up with this:

YouTube

and as a first try, I'm quite amazed by the sound of it. It is only fed with a tiny 3w amp set to half...

Now… being triggered by the possibilities of this, I'd like to read up on this and try to make bigger/better drivers myself…

But I have no Idea where to start looking for this..
I'm a software engineer with no EE education, but have gained a bit of knowledge during the years…
But in starting to design this, I don't know the terms to look for.

Was hoping to find so enthousiasts here which just could 'tag' a couple of words on this so I can search for info.

Thanks all!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There have been some impressive driver builds posted here over the years, but I haven't seen on lately. Might be hard to track down.

Of course the guys over in Planars and Exotics are forever building there own drivers.

and for those who are interested.. I've built a omni-directional speaker reusing the same coil I had from the first speaker...

YouTube

(actually, I used the wrong type of glue, tore up the latex from the first one, so instead of rewinding another one, reused the coil and glued it to the sphere)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.