I want to repair my AR9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2004, 03:38 AM   #1
S.C is offline S.C  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to S.C Send a message via AIM to S.C
Default I want to repair my AR9

Any recommandation about resurrounding the woofer drivers of my AR9 around Bay Area? My exact location is Milpitas, CA. I hope to find some company or individual who have good reputation that will not switch the driver while they returning it to me........ I heard some ugly prossibility from other froum. Plz help.
Old 20th April 2004, 04:29 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If it's just a matter of surround replacement for the woofers, that's an easy one to do yourself for probably less than $20. There are lots of kits with full instructions available. If you're scared the first time and are willing to pull the drivers, then buy a resurround kit, bring 'em up here, and I'll walk you through it. But honestly, it's easy.
Old 20th April 2004, 04:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Talking I had thought about that

Ppl here suggest me to leave it to professional resurround....The Classical Speaker page but I also think that DIY will work too, but how can I get the exact or close size of those plastic thing ? Here is the speaker info Pic + Brief info , More Info All info came from The Classic Speaker Pages

6 Woofers needed to be resurround, 4 12" sub woofers + 2 front 10" I think woofers. One more thing, how do I test the drivers to see they are either broken or just needed to be resurround? Thx for your infomations and help.
Old 20th April 2004, 11:44 AM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Normally, you re-surround the drivers when you can see the surround starting to physically deteriorate. I replaced the surrounds on my woofers when I saw cat claw marks puncturing them.

You can test the drivers by using a 1.5V battery- touch the wires to the battery terminals, and if the drivers move, then they're at least somewhat working.

Google something like "speaker surround repair" and you'll find lots of companies willing to sell you the kits. Look for a kit which contains the surround, appropriate glue, shims, and instructions. No particular recommndation here, but I recall the name of Stepp as being one of the suppliers. There was another with a name something like Walcom or Waldom.
Old 9th May 2004, 02:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thx for your suggestion ! I had refoamed my speakers yesterday, and I was using foams from www.simplyspeakers.com which costed me $80.85 shipped. However, it is much better than blind folding my eyes to buy some unknown replacement. After I put them back to place, and I had an idea! I decided to listern to some music and movie "Saving Private Ryan". The second I hop in my CD, I realize how clear it sounded on treble, mid, and bass. They had it all but would not over shadow the others. This speakers, I think, have a well blanced crossover, and those subs would not over producing basses, they were tight, and accruate. Then I started to watch "Saving Private Ryan" O Man, this thing is prefect movie for testing! I watched the whole movie two times yesterday, and my relatives were sitting there slient......(We had a family gathering yesterday night.) The first 15 mins, I could idenitify bullet, bomb blast, actor's dialog all the same time, no more "NO LESS"! Even the war was going on, I could hear Tom Hank's command like fighting in that place with effect aorund me and him. In a rainning scene same thing happened, and I was like "is it rainning outside......" haha just kiding, but it was close. These are what my untrained ear tell me..... Unfortunately I have no comparison between some "Same weight" (like in boxing) Class Speakers.
Old 9th May 2004, 07:32 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As far as I know AR9's were designed to be used backed up
against a solid wall, I remember hearing them at a hifi show
years ago with an Ariston turntable and Lux amplification.

Sounded pretty good to me, blasting out "My Sharona".

Though for subtle improvements solder all connections if not
soldered, investigate all driver mountings and blutack in place,
and bypass or replace any bipolar capacitors in the crossover.

Quote:
SYSTEM LOW FREQUENCY PERFORMANCE -3dB at 28Hz with an effective Q at resonance of 0.5.
Pretty impressive specification by any standards.

sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!