Open source speaker project?

choose you way!

• 3 way classic - limited (Under ~500$ Drivers and Parts)

Votes: 46 27.1%
  • 3 way classic - High end (Above ~500$ Drivers and Parts)

Votes: 50 29.4%
  • 3 way horn loaded - limited (Under ~500$)

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • 3 way horn loaded - High end (Above ~500$)

Votes: 28 16.5%
  • 2 way classic - limited (Under ~500$)

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • 2 way classic - High end (Above ~500$)

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • 2 way horn loaded - limited (Under ~500$)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 way horn loaded - High end (Above ~500$)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
[Moderator Note] No project may use the name of "diyAudio" without the express written consent of the site's owner. The following texts have been edited to reflect that fact.

Let's have an open source well documented DIYAUDIO.com speaker design, we have amps and preamps why not an ICONIC DIYAUDIO speaker ? something like Basszilla or whatever, see what this community can offer !

Ooo that 's exotic, wayy over price range of someone like me but you got my vote for it, but what about something more available like Fostex or Mark Audio or Audio Nirvana... OR we can have a high end version with unique drivers (no limits) as the best DIYAUDIO can offer and one mid level version for the rest of us.

Last edited:
Did anyone say "Iconic"?

1a.jpg

:D

Plenty of great minds posting here. If the project even got to the point of agreement on design goals it would be worth the read. Something similar to the original iconic would be the place to start for me... 2 way, ignore the extremes of FR and shoot for high efficiency.

exactly, it would be very exciting too see what this community can come up with, if it happens it s gonna be biggg ! not sure bout the "original iconic" tho, it would be a bada$$ but i was thinking of a more versatile design, that horn is not everybody's game. lets see what people say. for now everything is up for discussion tho, 2 way, 3 way, 4 way ! horn loaded, semi open baffle ...

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
There have been two threads in the past that I am aware of, the reference 2 way and the reference three way. I only have a link to the latter DIY Audio 3-way reference project??

Based on that experience, I would agree with what has been said, ie it is very difficult to get something off the ground! I believe the reference two way they did end up with a design.

I'm not sure what the logistics of doing a speaker kit would be like for the store, I suspect it may be much more difficult than the current store offerings.

Tony.

There have been two threads in the past that I am aware of, the reference 2 way and the reference three way. I only have a link to the latter DIY Audio 3-way reference project??

Based on that experience, I would agree with what has been said, ie it is very difficult to get something off the ground! I believe the reference two way they did end up with a design.

I'm not sure what the logistics of doing a speaker kit would be like for the store, I suspect it may be much more difficult than the current store offerings.

Tony.

Well the goal is to see what this community can offer and come up with, not necessary a kit for DIY store, a well documented project and hopefully we will see the builds, but i understand what you mean by it s not easy to get something off the ground but i still think with the minds we have hear it s a shame that we still don't have such a project.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Great idea, but...There are a lot of designs and kits at Parts Express, DIYSoundgroup and Meniscus, so it would need to be different at least from a typical offering. Where do the DIYaudio amps and preamps fall in terms of price range? I.e., no point in having a $3,000 DIYaudio speaker. Come up with a DIYaudio 2-way AND 3-way that meet certain specs that differentiate it from the multiple DIY designs and kits that are really available.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well the goal is to see what this community can offer and come up with, not necessary a kit for DIY store, a well documented project and hopefully we will see the builds, but i understand what you mean by it s not easy to get something off the ground but i still think with the minds we have hear it s a shame that we still don't have such a project.

Agree, and I was really keen back in 2009, but if you look through that thread, you will see we never got there. Maybe a fresh start, new blood, and an early agreed upon set of design goals can help get there!

The below summed up my thoughts back then:

Hi Tinitus, I don't think WAF was the highest priority, it was just something that came into consideration.

I think the philosophy behind this thread is to design an accessible project which people who want to step up from the usual 2 way to something a little more challenging, can try as a first (learning) project. Something that won't break the bank, and will appeal to as wide an audience as possible. It is not meant to be the be all and end all of Three way projects. It would IMO be more targeted at the less experienced DIYer who wants to step up to the next level in complexity, but certainly if the end result is very good, there is nothing stopping the more experienced people building a set either ;). Having at least some degree of WAF I think is important for a wide appeal, as though some of us might be able to get away with a couple of 200L cabinets (I know would struggle to pull that off) the majority of us couldn't.. I think that something between 70 and 100L is doable from a WAF point of view.

Tony.

Tony.

A clear criteria and budget are key. it's nice to get public input, but in reality it will come down to a couple people doing the actual work and hopefully more will build once the design is finalized.
Since the class A amps are so popular on this forum I propose the following:
8ohm speaker
sens min. 90db
12" woofer
4 cu ft max
max cost $300 per speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.