Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open source speaker project?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: choose your way!
3 way classic - limited (Under ~500$ Drivers and Parts). 39 20.97%
3 way classic - High end (Above ~500$ Drivers and Parts). 43 23.12%
3 way horn loaded - limited (Under ~500$). 8 4.30%
3 way horn loaded - High end (Above ~500$). 24 12.90%
2 way classic - limited (Under ~500$). 20 10.75%
2 way classic - High end (Above ~500$). 14 7.53%
2 way horn loaded - limited (Under ~500$). 25 13.44%
2 way horn loaded - High end (Above ~500$). 13 6.99%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th August 2018, 12:40 PM   #191
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

Have anyone thought of what the low range frequency extension should be?
Maybe flat to 30hz is the lowest but still achievable in terms of size constraints at 90-92db/2,83v?

Should be possible to make a 2way like that.
Old 10th August 2018, 01:09 PM   #192
andy19191 is offline andy19191  Europe
diyAudio Member

The trade off between low frequency extension, size and sensitivity would indeed be a topic for discussion if it doesn't follow naturally from the kind of 3 way speaker that is adopted. Unless something unexpected happens with the poll the capabilities of 2 ways would seem irrelevant since the design looks to be a 3 way.
Old 10th August 2018, 01:45 PM   #193
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

I get that, but there is no reason to go for a 3 way unless you want much higher sensitivity, but then you'd have to choose between size and low frequency extension again. Adding more drivers introduce more issues than it's worth IMO. And if this is supposed to be a cost-effective design meant for everyone it sort of defeats the purpose if it's overly complicated and humongous.

But it's entirely possible to make a good, decent sized 3 way that is still relatively simple and not too pricey. Just wondering if people have these thoughts lurking around behind their ears somewhere. Please understand that this comment is intended with a modicum of humour.
Old 10th August 2018, 03:18 PM   #194
mordikai is online now mordikai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
Quote:
Originally Posted by pguerin View Post
Hi mordikai,

By large 3 way hifi what do you mean, speakers like Troels SBA10, The Tarkus or Astor :

SBAcoustics 10
Tarkus - undefinition
Astor

Or something bigger ?

I think that the combo 10"+ 6.5"+1" is the biger speaker you can put in conventional living rooms 25m2.

I would pleased be involved in such a project .
I'm personally more interested in a larger speaker 12-15" woofer. I have the space and figure it's easier to get the combination of sensitivity and extension (90db+, 30-35hz) with a larger woofer. I realize this may limit interest.

I do have a pair of Kairos so I do find the sba 10 interesting because I could just ad the woofer and change the crossover, but I really want a little more sensitivity for my small amps.

Last edited by mordikai; 10th August 2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10th August 2018, 04:05 PM   #195
pidesd is offline pidesd  Canada
diyAudio Member

i thought about this waking up this morning...why not have a multitude of poll with only 2 voting option at a time, so that the disucussion can be focused on and constructive, and leave no place to interpretation.

A thread/poll on design goal could be great also first of all. (best speaker possible? best value? build by most people? etc)

I personnaly think the absolute key/goal/raison d'être to building a good successful speaker here on a FORUM is having as many people involved as possible. So we should no skimp on how we are going to select parts/designs. Lots of people will just be put off by a bad process, not the outcome.
God laughs at those who deplore the effects from the very causes they cherish- Bossuet......A knowledgy citizen is a bad citizen. A rational, rigourously intellectually penetrative mind that can foresee the future must remain a servant forever- Devil

Last edited by pidesd; 10th August 2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10th August 2018, 05:04 PM   #196
Cask05 is offline Cask05  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatto View Post
Again, having an speaker for store was just an idea not the goal...The goal was to come up with a well documented design, unique, that deserve the DIYAUDIO label on it and since there a lot of different preferences we have polls.
This is a common situation...design by committee basically never works. There's always an architect that has a vision and takes the ball and goes in his/her own direction--which is what I typically recommend at this point. Attempts at homogenization of design/product goals usually throws the baby out with the bathwater.

I'd strongly recommend picking something that interests you and that is informed by what you've already seen in the polling and the "discussions" that have ensued. Egos always get in the way, and the kitchen only needs one cook.

In terms of recommendations for how to proceed, usually there is some approach that's unique and enticing that the architect sees in a set of design characteristics to pursue (and virtually no one else usually does until the product is finished and working). These usually are near-and-dear to the heart of the architect, and it something that they are going to do anyway at some point in their life. I recommend going in that direction--and don't follow what everyone else has done or what they think that they want (and it's also been my experience these others usually don't want a product the exact way that they say that they do). They want something that they can't have. Find something that they haven't articulated, but they won't be able to live without once you articulate your vision. I'd actually keep that vision to yourself (more or less) until you've refined it a bit, and even then I'd be careful about discussing it--wanting "feedback". You'll always get someone or even a group of people that wants to talk you out of what you really want to do...it's basic human nature, it seems. Do your own thing, and keep it quiet for a while until you begin to see the design falling into place. (You can always ask technical questions about tradeoffs going one way or the other, but I'd keep those to pretty generic discussions and don't tip your hand.)

...and all the above is free of charge, of course...

Chris

Last edited by Cask05; 10th August 2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10th August 2018, 05:13 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

I'm confused...is Aatto a king, a president, a messenger, a servant, a counsellor or a prophet?
God laughs at those who deplore the effects from the very causes they cherish- Bossuet......A knowledgy citizen is a bad citizen. A rational, rigourously intellectually penetrative mind that can foresee the future must remain a servant forever- Devil
Old 10th August 2018, 05:22 PM   #198
Cask05 is offline Cask05  United States
diyAudio Member

He's clearly not you.

Are you building a competing design?
Old 10th August 2018, 05:31 PM   #199
diyAudio Member

no, i don't own another diy audio forum
Old 11th August 2018, 10:40 PM   #200
6L6 is online now 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ok, here's a target for discussion -

How about a three-way with an 21cm woofer (8"), 11-13cm (4-5") midrange and 25mm (1") tweeter. (I.E., an 8" monkey coffin)

Crossover points 500 and 5000 (as a nice starting target)

Cabinet approximately 30x35x60cm for ~63L (11 3/4 x 13 3/4 x 23 1/2, 2.2ft3) before mid chamber or stuffing, port, bracing, etc...

Vented or sealed as will best accommodate the woofer

Open source speaker project?Hide this!Advertise here!