Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open source speaker project?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: choose your way!
3 way classic - limited (Under ~500$ Drivers and Parts). 39 20.97%
3 way classic - High end (Above ~500$ Drivers and Parts). 43 23.12%
3 way horn loaded - limited (Under ~500$). 8 4.30%
3 way horn loaded - High end (Above ~500$). 24 12.90%
2 way classic - limited (Under ~500$). 20 10.75%
2 way classic - High end (Above ~500$). 14 7.53%
2 way horn loaded - limited (Under ~500$). 25 13.44%
2 way horn loaded - High end (Above ~500$). 13 6.99%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th August 2018, 12:18 AM   #181
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Are you guys putting together a diyAudio.com reference speaker, or as per the OP, a design for the store. For the latter, IMHO a 3-way is going to be too big to handle.

dave
Yes. Gotta consider shipping costs, wood doesn't ship cheaply.
Old 10th August 2018, 12:38 AM   #182
Aatto is online now Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatto View Post
I have an idea, why not having same thing in fullrange section ? I mean to start a thread in fullrange section to design an open source and well documented DIYAUDIO WAW design. Someone like Dave is more than experienced enough to start such project, if he has the time of course.
Old 10th August 2018, 12:45 AM   #183
Aatto is online now Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

Again, having an speaker for store was just an idea not the goal, i have no idea how the store works, but i can imaging carrying such 3 way speaker kit require some large storage area and of course serious investment, that i m not sure if our store is up to task, again I HAVE NO IDEA how diy store works.
The goal was to come up with a well documented design, unique, that deserve the DIYAUDIO label on it and since there a lot of different preferences we have polls.
Old 10th August 2018, 02:45 AM   #184
mordikai is offline mordikai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
This thread exist for the same reason most of the threads here exist- to interact and share with others of similar interest. Simple.

This forum desperately needs some new varieties of speaker projects. For obvious reasons there are very few large 3 way hifi focused speakers around here, or on other forums for that matter. I'm surprised there are people suggesting an econowave or fullrange project as there are literally dozens well represented here.

I say let's move forward with driver selections and a build.
Old 10th August 2018, 06:53 AM   #185
pguerin is online now pguerin  France
diyAudio Member

Hi mordikai,

By large 3 way hifi what do you mean, speakers like Troels SBA10, The Tarkus or Astor :

SBAcoustics 10
Tarkus - undefinition
Astor

Or something bigger ?

I think that the combo 10"+ 6.5"+1" is the biger speaker you can put in conventional living rooms 25m2.

I would pleased be involved in such a project .

Last edited by pguerin; 10th August 2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10th August 2018, 07:59 AM   #186
andy19191 is offline andy19191  Europe
diyAudio Member

A range of suggestions are coming forward for the type of 3 way. This is probably progress but we will have to get behind one or two later and this will mean people dropping out because it is not within their field of interest. It might be wise to avoid a design by committee where nobody remains sufficiently motivated to build the speaker. I would suggest this needs a theme that one or two can get a bit passionate about.

I think the op should possibly be editted to make clear this is a collaborative diyaudio design-and-make project (or possibly just design) and not a venture on behalf of the store. Unless the consensus is otherwise of course.

So what type of speaker? I suggested earlier a 3 way using standard range drivers and conventional good design practice to create a high fidelity speaker that is good value for money. Not particularly exciting but it is something that gets asked for and the current designs I am aware of are a bit quirky in one or two respects. Total budget including cabinet of under $1k. The theme could be something like the best technical performance for $1k in an acceptable package for the living room.

Charlie has put forward a suggestion of 3/4 of a 4 way with the theme presumably being small size. This could be developed in terms of budget, maximum size, minimum acceptable performance.

Planet10 possibly favours wideband drivers with subwoofer and supertweeter support. I don't know how to develop a target spec for such speakers but others presumably can.

Someone mentioned a monitor-type speaker earlier with a single large woofer. This could be developed into a spec.

What else?
Old 10th August 2018, 08:53 AM   #187
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy19191 View Post
Planet10 possibly favours wideband drivers with subwoofer and supertweeter support.
No tweeter needed if you do it right.

dave
Old 10th August 2018, 08:54 AM   #188
tmuikku is online now tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
Wouldn't it be more interesting to poll about what compromises people prefer than how many drivers a speaker has? To find the optimal compromise speaker and design over that
- high waf / i decide the looks
- cheapish / i got money
- small / bigger is better
- analog / dsp crossover
- normal listening level / proper spl capability
- drop one: high spl / low extension / small size
- i've got space and time to listen in a sweetspot / what is a sweetspot?
- all genre / "hifi" taste

etc.

Last edited by tmuikku; 10th August 2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10th August 2018, 09:02 AM   #189
Paul Vancluysen is offline Paul Vancluysen  Belgium
diyAudio Member

A typical English classic speaker looks attractive to me, the Harbeth, Spendor style...
The cabinet is easy to make, they mostly have a rectengular shape.
A three way with 8, 5 and 1 inch drivers or 10, 7 and 1 inch,...there are a lot of combinations possible.
Floorstander of monitor type on foot.

The idea to make a 3-way speaker on a foot, with the option to replace the foot by an extra woofer cabinet to make it 4-way or even a second woofer cabinet on top to make a powerful 4-way stays interesting for me.
You can start with the 3-way and upgrade it to a more powerful 4-way with 1 or 2 extra woofers.
These are just ideas from my side.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: png forum speaker idea.PNG (46.1 KB, 184 views)
Old 10th August 2018, 09:29 AM   #190
andy19191 is offline andy19191  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No tweeter needed if you do it right.
Then it won't be a 3 way. You will need the supertweeter even if it is not connected or perhaps a sub-sub woofer?

Open source speaker project?Hide this!Advertise here!