Hivi f6 and tweeter question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am working on my first ever DIY build so i need some help from you guys.
diver selection:
**I have selected Hivi F6 because it produces natural/life like sound(??)
Is there anything else 6.5" driver that is better that f6 within 42$?
Tweeter selection:
Ok so because i have selected F6 some friends of mine saying i need a very good tweeter because of its frequency response... So far i am thinking of
""SB Acoustics SB29RDC""
and
""
Seas 27TBFCG""
Which one you think i should pick?

Thanks
Dipu

"Better" is very relative.

Personally I think the SB Acoustics SB29RDC works better. The Hivi F6 looks a little iffy around the 2kHz region, and should be rolling off by then, it looks like that will be more doable with the SB29RDC based upon its response.

The SB29RDC also looks to have a better off axis response in my opinion.

The Dayton Audio DA175 might be a bit cleaner in the bass, and cheaper. It also goes really deep in a relatively small enclosure (20-25L) which is nice for subwoofer-less systems. Pretty hard to split the DA175 and F6 anywhere else though.

Either the SB29RDC or 27TDFC will be a good match as they can cross low and hide some of the distortion in the lower treble from budget woofers like the F6/DA175. Crossing around 1.5kHz LR4 would go well. Cost aside, the 27TDFC would be my pick as the frequency response is smoother.
The Peerless DA25BG08-06 is another excellent tweeter to consider and may be significantly cheaper than the SB29 or 27TDFC depending where you are located.

Yes it is easy to do that- if you've heard it. The F6 has a wonderful midrange quality, and can even be xovered as high as 3.5kHz if it's required. Those wobbles in the rolloff are nothing big, but the bump at 1.1kHz is something that needs notched and taken care of. It yielded bass to 45Hz in the Nephila towers.
I know you are big on measurements, but they don't always tell the whole tale. I've not experienced midrange anywhere close to the F6 from the DA175, and would use the F6 again before I'd use the DA175.
I took my Nephila to MWAF in 2015, and it played 1st in the day Saturday morning. I had no idea it would take first place in its category, nor that it would actually place 1st over everything else that day. That speaker as a whole with the RT5002 AMT from Airborne/Hygaeia is something very special, and it's xovered at 3.4kHz. This is not bragging why I'm telling you this, but to explain how excellent the F6 driver actually is, and it's only $42.

Later,
Wolf

To be honest i'm not much of a fan of the midrange of the DA175 either - the distortion in the upper mid and lower treble is quite audible. I use it in a 3-way crossed at 600Hz which shuts it up before distortion becomes objectionable.

I haven't heard an F6 though I imagine it is not too dissimilar - the impedance curve and Zaph's measurements indicate a motor design of similar calibre. In this price bracket everything has simple motors with generally poor control over inductance. That leads to rising distortion in the upper mid and treble due to Le(x) and Le(i). The cheapest woofer I've seen that overcomes this is the SB Acoustics SB17 however it it is not very capable in the bass. By $80-100 each you start to find woofers which have very few compromises.

Bringing the frequency response down a bit around 500-2kHz on the woofer will help strike a subjective compromise between linear and non-linear distortion and I see that your design implements this - probably why it sounds subjectively good!

The motor is a slightly more sophisticated design than the F6/DA175. Still not world-class, but good for the price. This leads to lower inductance and therefore slightly lower distortion of the upper mid/treble.

Lower inductance however also means that the high frequency response of the driver is enhanced, leaving you an even higher cone breakup node to deal with in the crossover. It's a more difficult driver to crossover, but better performing if you get it right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.