Correcting gradual roll off

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys
I have a Yamaha 6681b CD driver on my LeClech 340hz horn which is meant to be pretty flay across the range but it rolls off gradually across the range.
Is there a way to even out this response in the xover? Currently its a simple 2nd order but I'd like to correct the roll off if possible. Impedance is flat across the operating range.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• Roll off.jpg
    Roll off.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 184
Thanks Sonce, this is a second order now with 22uf and 5mh coil, this probably looks sharper than second order due to the extra roll off induced by the horn.

I just decreased the 22uf cap in XSim and it just raised the xover frequency. (16ohm)
Will try it for real tomorrow.

Cheers

Last edited:
Ok, lots of trials today. Had quite a few xover parts around so I just started trying different combinations and here's what we have.
A lot flatter curve but is it right?
Reduced coil and cap in the second order filter which brought down the lower part of the response then added a 10uf and 8.2R in series across the driver to even out the higher part of the response. Nice but the phase response isn't as flat.
Attached are the FR and phase plots from REW and the phase and impedance from DATS. Green was the original xover and blue / red is what I've come up with.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Revised xover.jpg
    Revised xover.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Phase.jpg
    Phase.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DATS  data.jpg
    DATS data.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 96
Are you sure, that green was before modifications? It looks pretty good!

Yea, the blue trace has an even fall as frequency rises. Dropping to around 7R at around 6khz. On the original xover the green trace dips around the xover frequency then rises to 16R which is the impedance of the driver and is pretty constant. So it looks like my correction has completely change the impedance .
The phase change in the REW sweep looks excessive, is that an issue? The DATS phase doesn't look as bad. Once the frequency goes past the xover range the phase flattens out. Green trace of the original xover. The red trace is the new version and does have a lot larger swing.

Which is the correct phase response to study, REW or DATS?

Cheers

I meant spl response curves. I don't understand much about phase curves but they look OK to me. Wiggles above 2kHz is either interferences or xo. How is acoustic xo, individual slopes for bass and CD?

REW measurement has 500ms or 1000ms IR gating as default it is way too long to analyze separate ways and phase.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.