efficient low cost speaker design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2004, 04:08 PM   #1
dvdwmth is offline dvdwmth  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default efficient low cost speaker design

I am looking for some project reccomendations for an effecient, low cost, first timer speaker design.

Since this is my first speaker project, and I have no power tools other than a drill, I am looking for something that is simple to build. I can have mdf cut at home depot but i cant get too fancy. I will buy something to cut holes though. Price wise I dont want to go over $200 canadian (about $160 us) but less then $100 would be better. I like the idea of floor standing speakers but I can go either way. They have to be fairly efficient since I have about 25 watts max. I dont want to buy pre-made cabinets because I want to get experience so I can attempt more sophisticated projects later. I live in Canada so pretty much everything is available.

I listen to classical and Jazz.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks
Old 19th April 2004, 04:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Alegria Audio BV2

Hi

Take a look at timn8ter thread bellow

JC
Old 19th April 2004, 04:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The problem with getting pieces cut at Home Depot or the like is that the cuts may not be exact. Maybe if you smile at the saw operator he could cut it perfect but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 19th April 2004, 05:02 PM   #4
dvdwmth is offline dvdwmth  Canada
diyAudio Member

its just a thought. Point is Im trying to keep the design simple. Ill work out an effective way of cutting the cabinets once I have the design. Maybe Ill hand cut them. Who knows? the most important thing right now is to figure out what I'm building.

I have researched a few projects but I want to hear what some more experienced designers suggest without biasing them towards what I have already looked at.
Old 19th April 2004, 05:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Fitzpatrick
The problem with getting pieces cut at Home Depot or the like is that the cuts may not be exact. Maybe if you smile at the saw operator he could cut it perfect but I wouldn't count on it.
Bill, you have just summed up MY experienced with Home Depot. One time they missed/shorted by a good two and 3/4 inches! So they relutantly recut a fresh board for me after my complaint. And the new cut was 1/8th of an inch too big. At the end I had to route it out myself a home, didn't dare to complaint again. Now I just rely on their ball park cutting and fine cut at home provided I give them bigger margins of the measurements.
Regards,
Chris
Old 19th April 2004, 05:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default HD cutting

Yeah, that's also been my experience.

All I ask them to do now is to cut a 8x4 sheet in
half so I can stick it in the car...

Dennis
Old 19th April 2004, 05:20 PM   #7
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Sometimes it helps to insist that they make all the cuts that are supposed to be the same width at the same time, without changing the setting. SO even if wrong, they fit together.
I've also marked the cuts with pencil for them.

But mainly it's to get the pieces in the car....
GET A ROUTER!
No other way to make good holes but you need a circle template but those you can improvise..

Also you can mount it under a piece of wood to form a table .
Then you can clamp a piece of wood on the tasble to make a fence, then run all your boards through to make them the same width..
Old 19th April 2004, 05:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: efficient low cost speaker design

Quote:
Originally posted by dvdwmth

Since this is my first speaker project, and I have no power tools other than a drill, I am looking for something that is simple to build. . . . . I dont want to buy pre-made cabinets because I want to get experience so I can attempt more sophisticated projects later.
Just a drill? No router? No sander? No jig saw? No experience? NO WAY.

Quote:
Originally posted by chris ma

One time they missed/shorted by a good two and 3/4 inches!
I had one of the better stores here rip a sheet of MDF to 36.25" After he cut it at 25" he gave me both pieces and took another shot at it.
Old 19th April 2004, 05:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Consider building something out of some type of builders soil pipe. There is a very interesting article on the subject on Planet10's TL website

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projec...son/index.html

Consider using 4" or 5 1/2" car drivers (but consider facing them towards the ceiling or at 45 degrees to the ceiling).
People have reported good results, and I knocked up one for a friend which I was very suprised by. If the drivers came from Ebay you could bring this project in for less than a 100$.

The type of music you listen to, which doesn't need thundering bass, would match such a project, and results are quick and rewarding.

Shoog
Old 19th April 2004, 05:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

How about this?:

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...ayton_iii.html

Hide this!Advertise here!