how to combine Line array and transmission line together

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the drivers to make a line array, and was considering trying to make it a transmisison line. My question is if I have a one end transmission line speaker, with the front chamber of the line in an elongated tower shape for teh line array shape, will this work as a way to expand the frequency range the TL is tuned for? Or will this just make the speaker sound really muddy with basically out of phase garbage coming from the TL ??

Transmission Line MTMM Array

Just finished in Santa's work shop, 12"x 16" x 36" MTMM array transmission line for stocking stuffers. The head elf was concerned that there were too few sanding days left till Christmas..
With a reduced cross section labyrinth dampened with foam, 1/2"wool felt and acoustic-stuff. Peerless silk dome tweeter LR19DT-8 and 3 Peerless 12ohm 8" woofers for a 4 ohm result.
The object was to build a speaker that could last a life time, the front baffle is removable/ replaceable to allow for speaker replacement or upgrades. The dampening had to be modified as the woofers loosened up, over 50 hrs on them now. The bass in Weir and Wasserman is impressive, and yes the heart beats in Darkside of the Moon.... I was very concerned about the labyrinth length and using woofer arrays for 1/4 wave timing dynamic loading on the woofers Fs. It appears that using an array, the overall effect is a lower Q to the point that calling them transmission line may be a misnomer.... I increased the stuffing at 1.5ft spacings to dampen the 5th harmonic as mentioned in one of the transmission line articles that I found.
The finish was 8 coats of tung oil modified spar urethane to increase the working time. Dried like a spar urethane but went on like a tung oil. The armor was satin finish and looks 1/4" thick. I prefer oil finishes but wanted long life durability to survive a couple young ones as they grow up.
The woofers are 91.5 dB efficient and crossed over at 2.5 khz. Designed to be driven by a tube amp, they were broken in with a 40watt/channel PP sweep tube amp designed to be 15watt/channel in class A. More than enough class A power for normal listening levels.
The head elf likes them so much, he is planning to make himself a set after spring thaw worms up the work shop.

Attachments

• Front_1.jpg
    Front_1.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 344
  • side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 325
  • speak1.jpg
    speak1.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 324
  • Front_2.jpg
    Front_2.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.