Royd Minstrel clones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lovely little speakers. The midbass driver was treated and run without any crossover. Only the tweeter had a crossover. It was also modified (larger rear chamber).

I've been using diy audio forums for years and can't think of anything like the old Minstrel.

Maybe keep an eye out for the last speakers Joe made - RR1, RR2 or RR3 IIRC

Is anyone aware of a recipe for diy clones for these? Or are they just too specific in terms of drivers?
This is an old budget configuration that evolution has largely made obsolete except in very low priced speakers. There are one or two budget(ish) midwoofers around like the 10" SEAS A26RE4 that appears designed to work in this manner but it would need a suitable large diameter tweeter to cross that low and I am unaware of an obvious candidates at a budget price.

rave reviews here: Minstrel | Royd Audio Loudspeakers
I think the key to cloning these is to find a good 5" poly cone with a smooth roll off at the top end....
the NLA 5" Wavecor driver comes to mind, even though it's coated paper, not poly

They sound better than any poly coned speaker to my ears.

His best bet would probably be the Royd RR3 or If he want to go diy, maybe something like the Tony Gee Plutone would be better but It's a lot more expensive. Never heard It though, so could be worse for all I know...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.