Measurement equipment recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have read that you need dual channel measurements if you want to measure delay or phase, so that would mean you need a two channel sound card and it excludes microphones with a built-in sound card. I can't remember where I read it though.

Have you tried using the search function to find information about measurement equipment?

Last edited:
REW; behringer UMC 202 or 404 soundcard; dayton EMM-6 or behringer ECM-8000 measurement mic.

The miniDSP usb mic is nice, as it comes with calibration files, and is mated with REW.
But I find the the wimpy length of of usb cable just doesn't cut it vs xlr mic cable length. So I vote for regular mic, which works fine with REW too.

Next step up $$, are dual channel, measurement-signal source-independent, real time programs, like SmaartLive or Systune, along with a better mic.
Soundcards mentioned above still work well with these.

ARTA software is supposed to be good too......but I have no experience with it

A USB mic (umm6/umik1) will be easier to setup and cost less than a mic/preamp/sound card combo, unless you already have a good sound card and preamp.

I have a mic/preamp/sound card setup but no longer use it after getting an Omnimic. It's a bit expensive at US$300, when USB mics are $80US and there's plenty of good, free measurement software available. But if you want something that's easy to setup and use, I don't think Omnimic can be beat.

Last edited:
USB mikes don't have the flexibility (and long cord) of a mic connected to a mike mixer with phantom power. Behringer makes a lot of them and frustrated DJs are selling them cheap.*

Any cheap DAC will connect the mixer to a computer's USB port but even the audio input on a "card" will likely be excellent too.

Also of immense practical value is a mic stand. PE sells on for like $20 that does all you want. You really can't do room measurements without averaging maybe three repeatable mic locations. (Although when fine-tuning EQ, you need the opposite: a single absolutely unvarying mic location as you iteratively tweak the EQ.)

B.
"Don't laugh, but I think I've twice posted curves showing how close my Mac Air laptop mic is to my calibrated EMM when held close to the laptop... except for lower bass

I have read that you need dual channel measurements if you want to measure delay or phase, so that would mean you need a two channel sound card and it excludes microphones with a built-in sound card. I can't remember where I read it though.

Hi, REW does a very nice job measuring delay and phase, using either an acoustic timing signal or a soundcard loopback reference. It's laid out nicely in the manual...

That said, a real-time dual channel rig like Smaart is soo dang much easier to use for phase and delay measurements....the ease is almost akin to difference in ease between using active and passive crossovers..

But back to REW, it amazes me how capable the donate-ware REW really is....

For those of you who are familiar with both REW and OmniMic, how do they compare?
What extra does OmniMic bring to the party? (besides the mic/hardware)

I've wrote that to quite a few threads maybe dozen times. So, Umik-1 etc. or any other random latency gear or software what forces user to "single channel measurement mode" is not recommended for speaker designing because timing/phase differences between different measurements will be lost and timing (IR response) normalized by the software. Capability to capture timing difference to output signal of power amp is very basic requirement with advanced multi-way simulation because it enables stable and reliable off-axis simulation.
Another very handy feature is polar response measurement and export sequences. That is included e.g. in ARTA and CLIO.
I suppose REW is still using date+time file naming which is worthless with off-axis measurements.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.