What is the coating on the Dayton DC28F silk dome?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This past weekend I went to the Parts Express warehouse sale and one of the things I bought was a discounted pair of Dayton DC28F silk dome tweeters. I didn't look closely, and when I got home found that one of them has the coating mostly missing/peeled off. I'm told that to repair it requires purchasing a replacement diaphragm assembly.

What is this coating, and what does it do? I mean, is there something special about it that gives a particular sound? Is it semi-permeable?

I wonder (and may try) if just painting on nail polish or some other coating will be sufficient, but I don't know what the properties of the coating are or the technology behind the design. Is the dome more than just a dust cap?

So I'm curious- anyone know what this coating is and how it works to give this tweeter its popular sound?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Some kind of polymer coating. Good luck ever getting the same frequency response as the non-damaged one unless you intentionally strip it off both tweeters and apply your own polymer recipe to both. Honestly just get the replacement diaphragm.

1" fabric dome tweeters have an anti-phase resonance mode in the dome center between 12 to 15 kHz. The coating damps this resonance and significantly impacts the related frequency response curve. Quite a bit of work goes into the development and application of coatings for high performance fabric dome tweeters.

Mix mouse glue and petroleum benzine. Take little brush and apply the mixture on the dome. Be quick when applying, it evaporates fast. When it evaporates, put some signal through it.

Measure before and after and post here. Use the other tweeter as reference.

Last edited:
No problem if it goes through - just don't soak up the fabric so much that it starts dripping. You can always add some more if the coat seems too thin. If you don't press it too much you're hardly going through fabric.

Last edited:
It looks like this.

Attachments

• DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    896.8 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    803.2 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC_0037.jpg
    DSC_0037.jpg
    820.1 KB · Views: 221
You're welcome.

I figured you'd manage to use some of the data from the bottle. I took a pic so in worst case scenario you could show it to someone in the drugstore - because benzene is highly cancerogenic, benzine not.

Try it on piece of paper first to see how thick layer remains after applying.

Mouse glue... yes, sure feels like it if, heaven forbid, you make the mistake of touching the dome. These are great tweeters and with a sharp slope crossover, you can try to hand them as much of the sound spectrum as you can. BUT be very careful not to let anything (such as wood chips) fall on them.

While fun to experiment, probably unlikely to match the stock version well enough. The replacement domes are reasonable priced.

B.

It's a $19 tweeter. Save yourself a lot of time and hassle, throw it in the trash and buy a new one.

It would be polite to read what was written on the previous page and then comment.

Thanks! Still lots to learn... Yea, I probably will just buy a replacement diaphragm, but I think before then I will do some testing and experimenting to see what I can learn, just for fun...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.